Engine dies when starter button released - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Engine dies when starter button released

I just finished rebuilding a 93 vulcan that I got from a guy in boxes so I have no history on this bike. I just got it started and it keeps dying when I let go of the starter button. The story on it was that it was being ridden and the transmission gave out. When I got it the engine was mostly apart but the rest of the bike seemed as usual. I hope I just hooked something up wrong. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks. I really want to get some riding in before bad weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I had a similar problem with my '92... I can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it. I know it was something stupid simple... try checking all of your grounds, and electrical connections.. don't just post back that they are good... take the connectors apart and put them back together, take the ground wires off the frame and put them back on making sure to tighten down the bolts tight. Make sure that the battery voltage is 12.5v with key off, and you have 14.5 while its running (W/starter button depressed if nesisary)...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred111 View Post
I just finished rebuilding a 93 vulcan that I got from a guy in boxes so I have no history on this bike. I just got it started and it keeps dying when I let go of the starter button. The story on it was that it was being ridden and the transmission gave out. When I got it the engine was mostly apart but the rest of the bike seemed as usual. I hope I just hooked something up wrong. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks. I really want to get some riding in before bad weather.
I know mine shuts off when starting it most times if I don't have the choke on, make sure that's working properly.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

choke appears to be working ok. It sounds like you turned the key off when the starter button is let go. I'll check all of my electrical connections in the morning.
One thing I didn't mention...My battery was dead and I had a charger hooked to it. Could that be the culprit? I was planning on getting a new battery on Monday anyway.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 PM
IBEW 915 Electrician

Did you disassemble and clean the carbs before putting it back together? Had a similar problem and a carb clean by the dealer solved the problem.

Also, FWIW, the engine stop/starter switch has a wire (red?) that goes to the ignition coil according to Clymers. You may want to check that out.

I had to replace my R/R, get the carbs cleaned at the dealer, and check all the connections (use a dielectric grease on the connections after you clean them). Bike has been running good. How long that will last..............

'01 Vulcan 750
Irridium Plugs
MF Battery
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
choke appears to be working ok. It sounds like you turned the key off when the starter button is let go. I'll check all of my electrical connections in the morning.
One thing I didn't mention...My battery was dead and I had a charger hooked to it. Could that be the culprit? I was planning on getting a new battery on Monday anyway.
Were you boosting it with a charger when you started the engine?
Or had charged it, then disconnected the charger and then started the bike?
What is the battery voltage now?
If the voltage is low, don`t take a chance on burning up your stator or r/r by running the bike before getting a new MF-AGM battery.

X2 to slims suggestion to pull apart every electrical connection and put them back together. The mechanical on and off movement 2 or 3 times tends to clean any corrosion off the pins or ground points, and sealing with dielectric grease prevents its return.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Is there 12V at the Red wire to the IC ignitor 6-pin connector when ignition is on?

Does it stay running if you ground the Black/White wire from the IC ignitor 6-pin connector?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

The battery is so low that I had to use the boost on the battery charger to start it. I think i'll wait until tomorrow when I get a new battery to try any more starts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 09:53 AM

check the oil pressure, wire to the pressure switch, mine if it's low will stop running.

2004 VN750 purchased 7/21/09, with 5490 miles. Plexistar 2 Windshield (remounted) -
Willie and Max Gray Thunder Braided Max Pax mounted on rear luggage rack, Slant Saddlebags, & Tool bag, - Iron Rider magnetic tank bag - Passenger backrest with lockable compartment - Replaced missing horn - Replaced both tires with ME880s - Lubed splines - Magna Power ETX15L Gell Battery - Replaced stator & voltage regulator 2012
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
The battery is so low that I had to use the boost on the battery charger to start it. I think i'll wait until tomorrow when I get a new battery to try any more starts.
yews the bad battery could very well be your culprit... report back after you get a new battery. don't waste your money on a led acid battery. get a good quality AGM Maintenance Free Battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement