Lost all power - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Lost all power

It never ends... tried to start up the bike today, it was barely trying to crank... On one of the cranks there was a very loud backfire, bike lost all power. Nothing turns on now. Battery voltage is a bit low, around 12.22V but still should be enough to at least light up the neutral lights or something. Fuses on the left side, on the junction box seem to be ok. No idea if there are other fuses or what I'm supposed to look for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Wet cell battery right?....the battery is a gonner.. spend the little extra and get an AGM battery.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

yea, I just wanted this thing to last at least a month... I'd also be a little worried if something else is wrong and I put in an AGM just to fry it as well. I'll try to jump it with a car battery when I come back from school and if all the voltages check out right, then I'm buying an AGM.

I have the checker's brand and the wal mart brand available locally. Which one would you recommend?

I think the name of the brands are Super Start and Ever Start. I'm trying to go with a local store so that warranty is less of a hassle... so I don't have to ship back the battery and stuff, just take it to the store in case it's bad.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:18 PM

I have the Walmart one... and mine did the same as yours with the wet cell...the AGM.. big big differance!.. if you jump it with a car battery besure you do it without the car running.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Well I hooked up the car battery and it started right up, no trouble. Problem is, as soon as I remove the jumper cables, it dies. I know a car is supposed to stay on because of the alternator, is it supposed to be the same for a bike? Do I need a new stator?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM

the stator only puts out enough charge to keep the battery charged.. but only at higher RPMS... for the most part the bike runs on the battery....a good idea is to get a trickel charger for when your not ridding it.. lots of slow rpm drving will lower the charge of your battery as well.... its not a great design for sure... there are a few things you can do to change the system.. like having Tim rewind your stator and putting in a differnt R/R with a higher rateing...there is a few good write ups about it if you search them... here is a link to the R/R I was talking about.. in the write up there is a link to the guy that sells the link.. this is my next mod for sure!.. suppose to be able to charge the battery at idol!...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/32290153/S...tifier-Install
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

hmm... that's definitely worth looking into! Thanks a lot for the link. I do have a trickle charger, but since I'd been using the bike constantly I didn't hook it up overnight. I do almost 100% city driving though, so if the battery gets charged only at like 4K RPMs, It's not getting charged much at all. I guess there's no way around getting the AGM battery lol. I'll probably get one at Wal Mart soon, thanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 PM

you wont regret it.. more CCA with the AGM and it hold a charge much much longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement