Starter leaking? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Starter leaking?

Ok, been a while since I've been in here. Work has kept me busy, which I'm thankful for.

Anyway, starter crapped out, and working two jobs, didn't have time to rebuild myself. Found a shop that did it for 65 dollars. All was good, for 92 days. Crapped out again. Took it back, and 50 dollars later, bike was starting fine. But, then I noticed I had an oil leak. First thought was the oil filter. Checked out fine. Second was the o-ring to the engine. Not leaking there. Oil was dripping from the other end, and with the side stand it would have been running down the whole starter and not the far end. So, took it back and they change the outer o-ring and what looks to be a bushing/seal. No charge. Back on the bike and it's starts right up. Unfortunately, so did the leak.

Going to take it apart this weekend and see if I notice any pinched seals, and clean out the oil.

Just curious if anyone else has had this happen, and if they did what was their solution?

I think the bushing/seal they used is the culprit. I looked at the parts diagram and of course it shows the area I suspect, but no part numbers.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 PM

Yes, yes, and yes. We have crappy starter motors. Too weak, poor design (come on Kawa engineers- a starter with those sad little rubber gaskets right behind the front wheel and under the oil filter? were you stoned or what?)

You can find rebuild kits on ebay at times for about $30 with S&H. Easy to do yourself and you get new bushings and all gaskets.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, it appears the bushing they replaced stopped the oil from getting inside, but still have a leak from the outer o-ring to engine. Figured they just replaced it with something that looked close, so I ordered one on Saturday from the dealer. Checked last time to make sure the surface where it meets on the engine case was clean, but I'll be sure clean it to remove any doubt.

Getting really good at removing and reinstalling this. If it ever becomes a timed Olympic sport, look for me to enter.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement