Mutazu DB trunk and LN saddlebag wiring - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Mutazu DB trunk and LN saddlebag wiring

On 08/20/10 I purchased a 1997 VN750 (Black & Silver) 14.000 miles. I recently installed Mutazu DB trunk and the LN saddlebags. I fabricated my own mounts and all fits perfectly. I will post pics on Friday. My problem is that when I connected the saddlebag and trunk L.E.D. lights to the existing OEM rear directionals, the relay was ticking at about 4x the normal speed and neither the saddlebags, trunk or stock (amber) directional would light up. I disconnected the L.E.D just to make sure the OEM directional and relay were working and they worked just fine. With the OEM lights the relay "ticks" at a normal rate, but with the LED tapped into the circuit the relay speeds up and none of the lights work at all. It seems that I can only have either the saddlebag lights or amber OEM lights, but NOT both. Another thing I noticed is that when I connect only the LED lights the relay ticks 4x faster than normal however, the LED do function on and off. What's my problem? Do I need a new relay in order to run all my lights or do I need to chose between hardbags/ trunk and OEM? I purchased a MF Battery 2 weeks prior to installation of hard bags and trunk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I'm not an electrical engineer by any means. When I replaced all of my old style bulbs with LEDs I had to also install another device, can't remember right now if they called it a relay or not, in order for the lights to blink at the proper rate. This had something to do with the LEDs drawing much less power and fooling the stock relay into thinking that a "bulb" was out.
I'm sure someone will soon chip in with the correct explanation on that. But they're easy to find and easy to install.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 AM

I have not done the turn signals myself, but before I found this fantastic group I was using this page to fiddle with the electrical components of my bike.

I tried to put in the url but I haven't posted 5 times yet so it won't let me. Google "how to improve the kawasaki vulcan 750". It is the 1st result on ehow.

Steps 2 and 3 refer to your issue I believe. Specifically: "Reducing the power used for the turn signals will require the replacement of the thermal load based flasher with an electronic non-load flasher."

Hope this helps.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
I have not done the turn signals myself, but before I found this fantastic group I was using this page to fiddle with the electrical components of my bike.

I tried to put in the url but I haven't posted 5 times yet so it won't let me. Google "how to improve the kawasaki vulcan 750". It is the 1st result on ehow.

Steps 2 and 3 refer to your issue I believe. Specifically: "Reducing the power used for the turn signals will require the replacement of the thermal load based flasher with an electronic non-load flasher."

Hope this helps.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4482122_impr...otorcycle.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

I want to thank you guys for your very helpful responses. I just went ahead and ordered the LED inserts for all my signal lights and brake light. After reviewing the electronic relay I read that a lot of people experiencing electrical power improvements while swapping OEM 1157 light for LED lights. I will be posting pics of the install. The membership here rocks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement