Weird problem now... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Weird problem now...

Hi all. I tried to start my bike and it cranked alright at first but didn't start and then it started acting like the battery ran out of power. So I hooked up a fully charged car battery to it (car off) and it did the same thing, it cranked well a couple of times then acted as if the battery had ran out of power... which definitely isn't the case since it wouldn't drain a car battery with a couple of cranks! I tried turning on the car to see if it would start and it did start just fine, no loss of power or anything. Don't know what's going on here... what components could cause this to happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Check battrey ground to the frame.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Check ground cable to back of engine too.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Checked grounds, even added a ground wire to the starter. I tested the starter and it's working fine, I also bypassed the starter solenoid and it will crank (used a screwdriver between the solenoid's contacts). But if I don't bypass the solenoid all I hear is clicking. Is there a starter relay? How do I know if it's the relay or the solenoid? Those are my two prime suspects right now. Any other advice on what to check is very very welcome.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

oh and where is the starter relay? I'm not GREAT at the electrical system and I dunno where the stuff is located on this bike.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
Checked grounds, even added a ground wire to the starter. I tested the starter and it's working fine, I also bypassed the starter solenoid and it will crank (used a screwdriver between the solenoid's contacts). But if I don't bypass the solenoid all I hear is clicking. Is there a starter relay? How do I know if it's the relay or the solenoid? Those are my two prime suspects right now. Any other advice on what to check is very very welcome.
If the solenoid clicks when the starter button is pushed, the contacts should be closing. I know I found some resistance specs for the solenoid/relay (I use the terms interchangeably) in the Clymer`s manual a few weeks ago, but cannot locate them now. A partial test would be to use a voltmeter or test light on the solenoid terminal to see if the starter motor circuit closes when the trigger (starter button) switch is pushed.

I am not sure, but I don`t think there is another relay in the junction box for the starter.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-14-2010 at 04:01 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

that's a nice idea, thanks!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Banned

There is a relay in the JB for the starter. Is it the "solenoid" that clicks? you should be able to feel it click if you touch it while pushing the start on and off. You said it turns over if you stick a screwdriver between the bat. post and starter post. Try a jumper wire from the bat. or the terminal on the "solenoid" that the battery goes to and the Y/R wire on the "solenoid." That should engage the "solenoid" and the bike should turn over. If not, check continuity from the B/Y wire on the "solenoid" to ground... (it should be connected to ground at all times). If it did turn over with the jumper wire, see if the click seems like it is coming from the JB. There is a Y/R wire from the JB (pin 13) that should have 12V on it when you push the start button. (assuming the bike is in neutral, or the clutch is held in) This should be the same wire (Y/R) that goes to the "solenoid" to energize it. Basically the circuit goes like this: White wire from fuse box (always hot) goes to the ignition switch. Once the ignition switch is turned on power goes through the ignition switch to the run/stop switch (Y/R ?) if the stop switch is in the run position, power flows to the start button. For as long as the start button is pushed, power then goes to the JB via B/R wire (pin 11). Inside the JB this power goes to a relay. If the relay coil has a path to ground (pin 12, black wire) via the clutch switch or neutral switch, the relay will close and pass power via pin 13 (Y/R) to the starter "solenoid"........ This is on MY bike anyway...... (The book doesn't match my bike about a few colors and such, but the flow of the circuit is as I have explained)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

That is an AWESOME explanation dariv, just what I was looking for... I'm not good at reading the electrical schematics, but once you put it like that I know how it's supposed to work and what goes where... I'll borrow a multimeter from a friend and see what I can find. Thanks a lot!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I stand corrected on the relay in the JB. Thanks dariv.

I found the test for the starter solenoid in the Clymer manual, chapter 8, page 315.

Long story short, quoting point number 7.

7. Connect the ohmmeter between the relay large terminals, press the start button and observe the following:

a. If the relay makes a single clicking sound and the meter reads zero resistance the relay is good.

b. If the relay clicks, but the meter reads a value greater than zero, the relay is defective and must be replaced.

c. If the relay does not click, it is defective and must be replaced.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement