Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

keyless ignition

Anybody have experience with a product like this?
http://www.invisikey.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds interesting.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Undercover Sportbiker

I went keyless for my track bike just by rewiring a little bit. Seems spendy, but an interesting concept.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 PM

I have a friend that has a new HD with this feature. Very cool and easy plus the benefit of a security alarm is a plus.

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM

i had a similar thing too, but laid the bike a couple times....I forgot to put it neutral

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 01:43 PM

I like the idea, but I'm not sure I like the way it's set up. It sounds like triggering the motion sensor starts the bike if your keyfob is nearby. I think I'd rather wire it into the starter button, so you still need to push it for the bike to actually start. Otherwise the bike would try to start if you just needed to push it to the other side of the garage or something and had the key in your pocket.

If you wired it into the starter button, then getting close to the bike with the key would be the equivalent of turning the key on. You could just walk up to bike, hop on, and hit the starter button to fire it up. It just seems a little unsafe to have it trying to start with so little input.

It should be fairly easily to replace just the ignition keyswitch with any sort of wirelessly-activated switch. Heck, you could even hook it up with a Bluetooth system paired to your phone and use that as the keyfob. That would have a side effect of keeping you from forgetting your phone too. =)

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Columbus, Ohio

You could just use the kill switch for every start and stop. Not perfect, but better than yet another switch.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I like the idea, but I'm not sure I like the way it's set up. It sounds like triggering the motion sensor starts the bike if your keyfob is nearby. I think I'd rather wire it into the starter button, so you still need to push it for the bike to actually start. Otherwise the bike would try to start if you just needed to push it to the other side of the garage or something and had the key in your pocket.

If you wired it into the starter button, then getting close to the bike with the key would be the equivalent of turning the key on. You could just walk up to bike, hop on, and hit the starter button to fire it up. It just seems a little unsafe to have it trying to start with so little input.

It should be fairly easily to replace just the ignition keyswitch with any sort of wirelessly-activated switch. Heck, you could even hook it up with a Bluetooth system paired to your phone and use that as the keyfob. That would have a side effect of keeping you from forgetting your phone too. =)
Bumping the bike turns on the tag reader, to save on battery use. You still have to push the start button to start the bike. Once it is started the system latches on until you either hit the kill switch or put the side stand down. (the latch keeps the bike from stalling if it looses contact with the "key")
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:48 PM

I might be wrong but from what I understand it doesn't start the bike at all. All it does it put the bike into run mode. You just don't have to put the key in and turn. There are a lot of cars out there now with this installed. First there were transponder keys a key with a chip that told the car it was ok to run since it had the paired chip. If you had a key with out the chip the car would start and die after 3 attempts it would kill the computer of the car. Now it is no key and just a transponder. It tells the car/bike it is on to go into run mode you still have to push a button to have the starter engage. If all you had was a transponder to make the starter jump it would always engage the starter even when running.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned

How about this RFID car alarm/keyless entry modified to ignition rather than door locks?
I'm thinking the relay can be placed in parallel with the existing switch. For under $40 it might be worth a try....
http://www.amazon.com/K9-SOMBRA-KEYL.../dp/B0011EIOJI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement