Battery Replacement Question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Battery Replacement Question

Aloha Guys and Gals,

My bike would not start so I looked at the battery and it was only half full of fluid. I filled it up but it would not hold a charge. I got the sears MF Diehard. The next day it was drained . I did the 5 hour charge and it was good. I understand that it may be a bad stator. How would I check that ...I have a voltmeter. Do I just start the bike then measure the positive terminal after I unattach it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Start the bike up and set the meter on dc volts over 12. Touch the red to red and black to black on batt. Rev the engine and the volts should reach up to 13 to 14 volts.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

My bike was sitting on the charger overnight. Before starting I measured 13.6 volts. I started the bike and measured 12.6 V, after 5 minutes 12.3 V. No rise when I revved the throttle.

I you sure I am testing the stator. Or am I just testing the battery ?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Banned

Stator tests:
1: The left cover on the engine has two cables that come out of it. follow these two, (you may have to remove the left side cover where the fuse box is) one of these cables has three yellow wires. disconnect these three wires. The order they are in makes no difference, so just pull them apart. Check each one for continuity to ground. If you get any, that's a bad thing.
2: check the resistance from each yellow wire to the other two yellow wires. These should all be around 1/2 ohm
3: start the bike, set the meter for A/C voltage, and check the volts between each pair of yellow wires. Should be around 20VAC at idle and up to 80VAC around 4k~5k RPM

my stator passed the first two tests, but only put out around 10VAC at idel and up to 20VAC at 4k RPM.....good luck
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadduxFreihz View Post
My bike was sitting on the charger overnight. Before starting I measured 13.6 volts. I started the bike and measured 12.6 V, after 5 minutes 12.3 V. No rise when I revved the throttle.

I you sure I am testing the stator. Or am I just testing the battery ?
the bike will not charge at idle, you are running off the battery. It only charges at higher RPM........\
"reving" may not register a change in voltage. Hold the RPM's up near 4k for several seconds and see if the meter reading changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement