Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Two Horns One Relay?

Have two Wolo Bad Boy horns on order. Want to increase my hearing loss, scare small children, simultaneously violate noise ordinances in surrounding communities, wake the dead, and hopefully get the attention of inattentive cagers by installing them on the Vulcan. Can I run them both off the same 30 amp relay, or will I need two? Electrical knowledge extremely limited, your input welcome.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Hey Flite, you should have no trouble running both horns off one relay. I got to tell you man, I put a Stebel on my bike and it's loud (139db) so you'd think that the cagers would notice. Tough to pay attention when you got the music cranked up and you're on the phone. I had one SOB come accross 3 lanes of traffic, fortunately we were both going no more than 30, saw him coming so I started blowing, nothing! I slammed on the brakes and started to skid. I was sure that I was going to meet that idiot but missed his rear bumper by a couple of inches. He turned off the road and I decided not to put my boot through his door.

Lots of luck

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

The OEM horns are marked 2.5 amps, the pair of Fiamm Freeway Blasters I have ready to mount are 5 amps, and Jim at the local bike night last Friday said his Stebel (same as your Wolo`s) is 15 amps, but I have not been able to confirm any specs online for current draw on it at all. I will be surprized if the compact air horn does draw 15 amps, so I agree with gemguy that one 30 amp relay should run a pair of them with no problem.

My Fiamms are rated at 132 db each, and are going in the stock mounting position in place of Ma Kawi`s beep, beep, road runner horns. They look good there, not too big like I think a Stebel or Wolo would be. I can hardly wait to test them on the bike, not just tested with a booster cable and juggling the horns in my hands! BTW- I picked them up locally at Princess Auto for ~$15 each. Same ones at NAPA were $34.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post

My Fiamms are rated at 132 db each, and are going in the stock mounting position in place of Ma Kawi`s beep, beep, road runner horns. They look good there, not too big like I think a Stebel or Wolo would be. I can hardly wait to test them on the bike, not just tested with a booster cable and juggling the horns in my hands! BTW- I picked them up locally at Princess Auto for ~$15 each. Same ones at NAPA were $34.
Pictures?

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.

Every "real world" horn decibel test I could find revealed that the manufacturer's decibel rating far exceeded what was actually recorded. Here's just one: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...comparison.htm

So I figured mounting two "high performance" horns would ensure I was heard. Read one review where a guy said the horns I bought drew 10-15 amps. Where he got that figure I have no idea, since the manufacturer doesn't provide it.

I bought Fiamms shortly after getting the Vulcan and planned to mount them in place of the stock horns. But thought they needed some bling and plastic "chrome" horn covers for the 3.5" Fiamms ran around $13 each, making them more expensive than the horns! So the Fiamms are going on the truck.

The chrome Bad Boy horns will be mounted to the frame on either side.

Old Blue

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkonst View Post
Pictures?
I do have a digital camera now, and will try to post some pics this week. The bike is parked in the shade, and I can`t move it by myself yet. I hate pictures taken like that because the detail doesn`t show, but I will do my best.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully, the final question. The horns came in today and each has a 40 amp relay. They recommend a 20 amp inline fuse with a single horn installation. How large a fuse should I install for two horns?

Old Blue

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:18 PM
gun slinger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
Hey Flite, you should have no trouble running both horns off one relay. I got to tell you man, I put a Stebel on my bike and it's loud (139db) so you'd think that the cagers would notice. Tough to pay attention when you got the music cranked up and you're on the phone. I had one SOB come accross 3 lanes of traffic, fortunately we were both going no more than 30, saw him coming so I started blowing, nothing! I slammed on the brakes and started to skid. I was sure that I was going to meet that idiot but missed his rear bumper by a couple of inches. He turned off the road and I decided not to put my boot through his door.

Lots of luck
some how i just pictured arnold swartsagovernor < lol as the terminator where hes toateing a 12 Ga shotgun on his bike lol

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Kawika

use 12-14 gauge power wire and you can try fusing it at 30 amps...35 should definitely be fine, if they draw 15 amps each. test the horns for 5-10 seconds to make sure it doesn't pop the fuse...don't forget to put your earplugs in first!

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Again, thanks guys. This forum is very helpful! Already have the 12 ga wire. Need to find a 12 ga fuse holder too, and I should be good to go!

Gonna put my muffs on over the plugs when I test 'em!

Old Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement