Right Front Plug does not appear to be firing. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Right Front Plug does not appear to be firing.

When changing or cleaning the plugs, I had noticed the right front plug appeared to be fouling.

Installed Iridium plugs and after approx. 400 miles I checked the right front plug and it was oiled and gummed up; the left side plug was clean and appeared normal.

I disconnected the right front plug and started the engine; it ran ok; I then installed a standard plug in the right front connector and when grounding the plug it was arcing.

Then I pulled the right rear plug wire and the engine slowed a little during idle and when reconnected the idle speed came back up to where it was. This leads me to believe the right front is not firing.

The bike does not appear to be using any oil; level is the same; no exhaust smoke.

I am thinking it is a defective ignition coil; any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Which is most likely to be the problem; plug wire, plug cap, coil.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
could be too many things... ie front coil pick up assembly, a bad wire between the ignigter and the front coil, bad wires, bad coil, bad igniter... the list goes on... test each part as per the clymers manual... I was having the same problems when I started my VN up after completely redoing the electrical system. I found it to be a bad connection to the front coil tigger wire... the spade terminal wasn't making a great connection.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding; about 15 minutes after posting; I discovered the problem.

Symptoms: Plug not firing;

Glo Tector indicated the coil and IC igniter were working.
Removed the Plug lead no change in the performance of the engine.
Removed the Plug lead and inserted a plug; grounded the plug and the plug was firing.

Next thing I did;

Started the bike; while sitting on it; I reached down to remove the front plug lead and got ZAPPED; Upon examination of the connector I noticed an indent in the insulation where it had been riding on the wire spring coil around the throttle cables; I installed a patch of 30KV Heat Shrink tubing around the Plug Connector and Presto problem cured; not only this problem but another.

Prior to this I had been getting a lot of backfiring upon deceleration; this was with the EGR's blocked at the cylinder head with a 1/16 aluminum plate.

I did not disconnect any of the other EGR components; Jets were backed out to 2.5 turns; Upon deceleration it would backfire continuously and also between shifts.

Now; it just rumbles and pops real low a couple of times; runs much smoother, engine chain noise is a lot less.

This is with the Goat removed by Lance; MCCT's installed by Lance, and the mufflers stock; I dont think I would want it to be any louder; it is now nice and smooth sounding.

I am hoping my Gas Mileage will improve also; been getting around 37 mpg which I think is very low.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
glad you got it fixed.. and it was a free fix...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement