Welcome to the Vulcan madness steve. Congrats on getting a Vulcan.
Here is a link to a free downloadable manual
Many like to have the Clymer manual
too. Check the ebay link at the bottom of the forums list. You can often find a second hand manual for a reduced price there. Haynes prints one as well, but I have not seen theirs.
Speedometer runs off a cable coming from the front wheel.
Disconnect cable from the drive gear and check for a broken end. If OK then spin the cable with your fingers and watch for speedo gauge needle to move. Try to reinsert cable into drive gear properly and test drive to see if it works now. If not, remove front wheel and check drive gear unit.
Junction box (JB)/fuse box is behind the left side cover
. Pop black cover off from the bottom edge.
If fuses are all good and fuel gauge still doesn`t work, use this test
- Remove seat.
- Disconnect the fuel level 2 pin electrical connector (one white/yellow and 1 black/yellow wire) at the end of the fuel tank.
-Turn ignition switch to ON position.
- Fuel gauge should read "E".
- Use a jumper wire (an opened out paper clip will do) to BRIEFLY touch the 2 terminals in the connector attached to the harness on the bike (not going to tank). The gauge should read "F" now. IMMEDIATELY DISCONNECT JUMPER WIRE, or risk damaging gauge.
-the gauge should drop back to "E'.
- If these readings are correct the gauge is ok.
- Either the sensor in the tank is faulty or the wiring between the sensor and connector is faulty. Inspect and/or replace sensor and wiring.
There are some soldered connections under the sensor cover on the bottom of the tank. You will have to remove and drain the tank to do this inspection and repair.
I hope this helps.