Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

More electrical problems

Riding along, left turn at intersection, go about 300 yards and the bike dies. No instument lights, won't crank. Pull over, turn key back and forth, still no lights. Remove left side cover, pull and check all fuses, put cover back on, turn key, and I have power! Ride about six miles, make right turn and bike dies again. No instrument lights. Leave key on, push it into the shade, two guys in a truck stop to see if I need help, tell them no, look down and instrument lights are back on! Head home, make an intermediate stop after about 12 miles, turn right into business, bike still running and turn off with key. Twenty minutes later, try to start, and no instrument lights. Pull fuse panel and push on fuses. Nothing. Replace fuse panel cover, stand up and the instrument lights are back on. Make another stop, turn bike off, return in 10 minutes and bike fires up no problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to check first? I have a project bike I can pull replacement parts off of and have a dial type multi meter. But my electrical expertise is limited. BTW, have an almost brand new Deka MF AGM battery in it.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
try checking the ignition switch connector inside the headlight bucket... it sounds like it might be stretched... also check for the wires to be shorted out as well.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
This did happen to me after switching to an AGM battery. The new AGM battery was shorter than the old wet cell which made for poor contact with the battery the hold down bracket. Turns out the new battery was sliding back and forth in the battery case. It was enough movement to eventually work the negative cable loose. I added lock washers to the battery connections and shimmed the battery hold down bracket to solve it. Another potential candidate is the contacts in the key assemble. Other owners have reported bad/dirty contacts resulting in a similar symptoms as yours.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

I failed to mention that after the last time it wouldn't start I pulled the seat and checked the battery conections. Both were tight, but the battery hold down wasn't snug enough to keep the battery from moving slightly, so I will fix that.

Old Blue

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Found one wire connection in the headlight bucket that wasn't completely seated from my recent wiring harness contact cleaning and greasing. Also, for some reason I didn't clean the multi connector in there. But it's done now and we're going for a test ride. Will let you know if there are problems.

P.S.: Fifty miles and no problems. Hope that was it.

Old Blue

Last edited by flitecontrol; 06-22-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement