Relay required and how to wire? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Relay required and how to wire?

Ok, I admit it, I'm thoroughly stumped by our bikes f*d up wiring system and diagrams! You need TTL or CMOS logic done or microprocs wired up, I can usually do it with minimal issues, but this is making me feel irreparably stupid.

One of the byproducts of installing the new r/r is that I'm left with the Brown, White, and B/Y wires left over and not being used. No big deal right? Bike starts and runs and everything appears to work....well....everything but turn signals. The turn signal control unit isn't getting power. The brown wire is the sense wire right? Then that means the white wire is + current going through the JB and ultimately the battery. But according to the diagram, it goes to a splice to the JB and then to another splice where it goes to the ignition switch in two places. The B/Y wire goes to ground. Well here's what I've got going on:

The Brown wire is currying a LOT of current since it blew a 30 amp fuse when I was trying to test for voltage and accidentally set meter for DC amps < 20 (blew a 30 amp fuse) between Brown and Ground. So I went back and re-read a couple of threads and found a post that said that in this R/R replacement scenario the Brown should be connected to the White wire. Ok, checked things over and looked at the confusing diagram and figured what the hell. Sure enough, after the connection the bike started up and ran and turn signals worked. But then I noticed that all of the dash lights were on regardless of ignition switch position.

So what am I doing wrong here? Am I missing something. I thought maybe a automotive relay might be needed, but can't find anything on 3 wire relays, everything is 4 or more connections. Maybe I'm just exhausted with everything going on lately, but I just need my bike. I can't really ride without turn signals (have a cop for a neighbor and he was the one that pointed out my signals weren't working).

Help, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 AM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
I ordered the same kit that you did the brown wire also goes to both brake light switches and powers the brake lights it also powers the horn. you have another issue check your turn signal flasher.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Ok, I admit it, I'm thoroughly stumped by our bikes f*d up wiring system and diagrams! You need TTL or CMOS logic done or microprocs wired up, I can usually do it with minimal issues, but this is making me feel irreparably stupid.

One of the byproducts of installing the new r/r is that I'm left with the Brown, White, and B/Y wires left over and not being used. No big deal right? Bike starts and runs and everything appears to work....well....everything but turn signals. The turn signal control unit isn't getting power. The brown wire is the sense wire right? Then that means the white wire is + current going through the JB and ultimately the battery. But according to the diagram, it goes to a splice to the JB and then to another splice where it goes to the ignition switch in two places. The B/Y wire goes to ground. Well here's what I've got going on:

The Brown wire is currying a LOT of current since it blew a 30 amp fuse when I was trying to test for voltage and accidentally set meter for DC amps < 20 (blew a 30 amp fuse) between Brown and Ground. So I went back and re-read a couple of threads and found a post that said that in this R/R replacement scenario the Brown should be connected to the White wire. Ok, checked things over and looked at the confusing diagram and figured what the hell. Sure enough, after the connection the bike started up and ran and turn signals worked. But then I noticed that all of the dash lights were on regardless of ignition switch position.

So what am I doing wrong here? Am I missing something. I thought maybe a automotive relay might be needed, but can't find anything on 3 wire relays, everything is 4 or more connections. Maybe I'm just exhausted with everything going on lately, but I just need my bike. I can't really ride without turn signals (have a cop for a neighbor and he was the one that pointed out my signals weren't working).

Help, please.
I am going to take a SWAG (Scientific wild a**ed Guess) and say you need to install a diode in eiither the wite or brown wire to keep power from feeding backwards from the battery when the switch is off, if you
are worried about the relays there is no difference between the 3 wire and the four wire except ground ( battery -) is reached through the mount on a three wire and has to have wire attached to a ground source for the control(primary-coil side ) on a four wire relay

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:55 AM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
the three wire relay is your flasher the brown wire isnt hooked up on my bike i just capped it off my turn signals work fine.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

I must have been more tired than I thought....or hallucinating. I went out first thing this morning and everything was working, no problem. I did however get 12v at the white wire with the ignition off. Something tells me thats not right, but I'll worry about it after work. Thanks guys.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 AM

There is 12V always in the white wire. There is 12V in the brown wire when the ignition is on. Make sure that these wires don't short anywhere.

If your blinker does not work, it's not because the leftover wires are not connected. You don't need to add any diodes or relays either.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post
There is 12V always in the white wire. There is 12V in the brown wire when the ignition is on. Make sure that these wires don't short anywhere.

If your blinker does not work, it's not because the leftover wires are not connected. You don't need to add any diodes or relays either.
did you read where I said that was a guess,since he has changed his wiring after the RR change and he asked about the relays ,I neve thought about him reffering to the flasher and it really doesn't matter since now every thing is working right

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement