How To Wire a GPS & Cigarette Outlet (*LARGE PHOTOS*) - Page 10 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb3chey View Post
----inside the headlight bucket, i have a pair of wires that i think are accessories leads---has anyone used these for a accessory outlet for a gps / ect?
there are 2 sets of accessory leads....one in the headlight bucket and one by the battery box. they are ALWAYS hot and do not turn off with the ignition.

I wired my driving lights to the set in the headlight bucket, but use the battery tender leads from the battery to power GPS, phone charger...etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb3chey View Post
----inside the headlight bucket, i have a pair of wires that i think are accessories leads---has anyone used these for a accessory outlet for a gps / ect?
Read posts 29, 68, 75, and 79... pay particularly close attention to post 68 and 75. as this is the best way to utalise the said accessory wires in the HL bucket, so as not to drain the battery.
post #93 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM

does anyone know if the kz 550 headlight can work

post #94 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

.Here's another a way to install a semi- weather resistant female 12v socket plug that is fast and easy. Buy a Diesel brand power socket (item # 360-57208, $11 at my local Petro truck stop). Cut off the alligator clip ends and drop the wire between the handlebars, the triple tree, and the wire bundle from the left handlebar. (see picture) which hold it fairly securely. It has a rain cover (pretty cheap cover). Hook to the spare wires in the headlight bucket. Took me about fifteen minutes (bet I can do the job in 5 minutes next time) and no long wire runs. Since I already have one of those small $10 USB cigarette lighter plugs (also available at most truck stops) I can also charge my phone, Ipod, or just run my GPS using a retractable USB cords and minimize any extra wire.
The plug happens to sit under my slightly angled wind screen so in addition to its cheap cap it also has a bit of protection from the rain.
I've got a $6 motorcycle GPS mount ordered from E-Bay and since I use a tank bag the phone or Ipod can ride in the tank bag (10” from the plug) while charging with very little loose wire flapping in the breeze. Generally I don't use a GPS but I've got a 400 trip in an area I don't know well planned in a week (praying for sunshine) and I prefer the back roads.
For those of you who are having a hard time seeing the plug it's directly below the speedo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	5324  

Last edited by Spencer1; 03-02-2013 at 09:42 PM.
post #95 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Just started looking through this thread. Found this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...+pin+connector Basically your sae-2 connector already soldered to the 12v outlet, and for only seven bucks. Figured I'd share for those looking for the plug and play route.

post #96 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Big Dumb Viking

Send a message via AIM to asbrand Send a message via MSN to asbrand Send a message via Yahoo to asbrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Just started looking through this thread. Found this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...+pin+connector Basically your sae-2 connector already soldered to the 12v outlet, and for only seven bucks. Figured I'd share for those looking for the plug and play route.
Excellent! That wasn't available back when I created this thread. If it had been...well, I would have gone that route. *grin*

I'll go edit my original post and add this to that. Thanks!

-Az
http://www.asbrand.com

1989 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

Upgrades so Far:
Coastered
R/R relocated
Analog Voltmeter
PFIII Windshield
RAM GPS Mount w/Garmin GPS
Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter
Saddlemen's Classic Explorer Seat
Pro-Tac Driver's Backrest
LED Tail Light
LED Rear Turn Signals
Luggage Rack
Storage Trunk
Engine Guard w/Highway Pegs
Radiator Grill Cover
Turn Signal Relocation Bracket
Saddlebags
Floorboards
post #97 of 97 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 AM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I just did my power adapter installation. I made the wires off of the adapter waaay too long but they're simple enough to shorten up. This was an incredibly easy thing to do. Thanks Asbrand. (Wherever you may be. I wonder what happened to him....)

TOC MCCTs
Saddlebags, hard mounted
Fork mounted tool bag (now hard mounted)
Relocated rear turn signals
LED turn signals, brake lights and running lights
LED license plate frame
Engine Guard and Highway pegs
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers (nice)
Custom seat (made by a local guy)
Iridium plugs (DPR7EIX-9)
Shenko 230 Tour Master tires at 11,123 miles
Splines lubed at 11,123 miles
Luggage rack
Light bar with LED lights