Batt not charging - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Batt not charging

On my last run back from Nashville I had to push start the bike every time I refueled. At the first stop the starter would engage but the bike would not start. at the second stop when you hit the start button there was not even enough juice to make a click. both times the bike started up just fine with a push. My headlight switch is having a few issues so i leave it on bright all the time - but I don't think that should be causing the batt to go out. Once I got it home I hooked the batt up to the charger and it took a night and half a day to recharge. (I have a pigtail on the batt so that I don't have to pull it from the bike to charge it if that makes any difference) The next day it started fine - I drove it about 20 miles and it acted like it was running low on juice. so I brought it home - charged it up and haven't driven it since. any thoughts? I just put a new stator in a few months ago. I should mention that it also has a sealed batt that is less than a year old.

That can't be my bike - it aint movin'

Last edited by trekbiker; 04-22-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added some info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If you have a multi-meter, once the battery is fully charged, check the voltage with your key off. Should be around 12.5 volts. Then start up the bike and test the voltage at idle, and then when revving the bike to around 4k. Your voltage should rise up to around 13.8-14.5 volts when the bike is revved up. If the charging system is working fine, I'd take the battery to have load tested. We've seen plenty of batteries go bad way short of their perceived life span.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

OK for Fregy's question - I turned on the lights and got 14.3 V across the battery. I hit the switch and got 15 V at 4000 rpm and the high 14s at 1100rpm haven't checked the yellow wires yet

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:56 PM

Was the stator an Electrosport?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
OK for Fregy's question - I turned on the lights and got 14.3 V across the battery. I hit the switch and got 15 V at 4000 rpm and the high 14s at 1100rpm haven't checked the yellow wires yet
Forget the yellow wires for now, I deleted that post as fergy`s test and answer were easier. If you are getting 14 to 15 volts dc, the stator is ok.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 PM

Garage
I j
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
Sounds like your charging system is working,maybe a little high on the dc output,take the battery out and have it load tested. The high charging voltages can shorten battery life by overcharging.......P.S...I just saw where Fergy had already told you to have the battery load tested,I agree with him on that.I shoulda looked at the earlier post.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 04-22-2010 at 10:16 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I am going to check the RR output in the morning (idea from Lance) when I am more awake and let you all know what I find I'll also have the Batt tested.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:20 PM

Sounds to me like your stator is ok: your Rectifier is ok- 14 - 15 V Dc. It is running once you get it started. If the battery was fried and the R/R was bad there would not be enough juice to run the ignition.

Sounds like a bad connection between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid or starter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Well - I just got back in from helping my son swap out a radiator in his Jeep Cherokee and while we were at the shop we did a load test on the bike battery - it showed 11.3 or 4 volts so I guess it's off to the battery store to do a warranty exchange tomorrow. I haven't checked the output from the RR - I'll do that tomorrow when I come back with the new batt just to be sure I don't have a couple of things going on.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Per Lance's Idea - I recharged the batt. out of the bike last night and this morning I get a good reading on a batt tester that I have (only shows good or bad) So I am off to plug it up in the bike and see what the Volts read (it's the only way I know to add a load in parallel to check) - then I am going to unhook the batt and let it sit for most of the rest of the day and see if it dies on it's own in case I am getting some sort of drain from the bike wiring. I am also going to test the output of the RR while it's in.
I'll let you know how it turns out - By the way to answer flite's question the Stator came from Tim Parrott.

Last edited by trekbiker; 04-24-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement