Starter motor wont start - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Starter motor wont start

When I press the start button nothing happens. My dash turns on. So do all my ambers and brake lights turn on, but the starter button does nothing. I can get the starter motor to turn if I touch the Y/R wire to positive cable on the starter solenoid relay. I was thinking that maybe my ignition wasn't working so i pulled it out and all the solder points looked good and I stretched the springs alittle.

so far ive check to see if I get voltage from the w/r wire connecting from the starter solenoid relay to the plug on the JB. I get voltage on that one.

when I tried checking for voltage from the y/r wire connecting from the starter solenoid relay to the plug on the JB. I got nothing. I did check the y/r wire for connectivity and it has connectivity so i unplugged the wire and just checked voltage on the tab that the wire connects to from the solenoid, no voltage at all. key turned on or off

I also checked for voltage on my main fuse connectors and I only get voltage from the top connector and not the bottom.

I did these checks based on suggestions from the thread "My turn". Im not sure what to check next

Last edited by xavier; 04-19-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I tihnk there's a way to bypass the relay so you can determine if that's your problem. Hopefully someone who has done that will pipe up shortly!!

C
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier View Post
When I press the start button nothing happens. My dash turns on. So do all my ambers and brake lights turn on, but the starter button does nothing. I can get the starter motor to turn if I touch the Y/R wire to positive cable on the starter solenoid relay. I was thinking that maybe my ignition wasn't working so i pulled it out and all the solder points looked good and I stretched the springs alittle.

so far ive check to see if I get voltage from the w/r wire connecting from the starter solenoid relay to the plug on the JB. I get voltage on that one.

when I tried checking for voltage from the y/r wire connecting from the starter solenoid relay to the plug on the JB. I got nothing. I did check the y/r wire for connectivity and it has connectivity so i unplugged the wire and just checked voltage on the tab that the wire connects to from the solenoid, no voltage at all. key turned on or off

I also checked for voltage on my main fuse connectors and I only get voltage from the top connector and not the bottom.

I did these checks based on suggestions from the thread "My turn". Im not sure what to check next
the yellow/red stripe should have power with the starter button pressed in and key in on Position with the transmission in Neutral and side stand down

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I just tried the bypass to the ingintion per instructions on previous post. I disconnected the brown wiring connector, and on the wiring harness side, jumped the white with black stripe wire to yellow with red stripe wire. nothing happened.

How can I check if the engine shut off switch is working? If I understand correctly I should be getting voltage to the y\r wire on the starter relay when the engine shut off is on? that seems to be the only thing missing for me I im not getting power to that y\r wire. I only have half of my main fuse getting power.

thats a guess from a person who really knows nothing but has been rereading this over and over.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
the yellow/red stripe should have power with the starter button pressed in and key in on Position with the transmission in Neutral and side stand down
X2 on what denny said... so next question is, does pin 11 0n the jb have power?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

sorry but do you know what color wire that is?

also I wanted to check for continuity on ignition wires just in case but I dont know where the other wires like the blue/red, white/blue, orange/green, blue/white are. are they suppose to be on the jb?

Last edited by xavier; 04-19-2010 at 10:06 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
ok wires on the ignition switch, for bike starting all you need to worry about are the white wire and yellow/red wire, the rest go to lights, look at your wiring diagram it shows you where every thing goes.

Blue White or blue yellow, can't tell in my pic... go to Flight's post and look at his JB diagram and look at the connectors,
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

on flights post it shows the 10 pin connecter, and on the top left corner I believe is pin 11. now on the picture it shows it should be a blue...maybe white stripe wire but i dont have a wire that color the only blue wire i have is solid blue and its on pin12. pin 11 is a black and yellow wire. I must be looking at this wrong.

dispite the color of wires I checked all of the wires on the 10 pin connector and the only pin that registered 12v is pin 9. A few others registered less than 1v

pin11=0 pin12=.07 pin13=.06 pin5=0 pin4=.05
pin15=0 pin9=12.5 pin() pin14=0 pin16=.45

Last edited by xavier; 04-19-2010 at 11:16 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 PM

The color markings in the wiring diagram match the actual colors of the wires on the 8-pin connector of the JB, but not all colors on the 10-pin connector match. At least on my bike there are two wires which are different color, and they both are in the starter circuit:

pin 11:
  • diagram says black
  • actual color is black/red
  • comes from start button

pin 12:
  • diagram says yellow/green
  • actual color black
  • comes from starter lockout switch

I would gladly try to help you, but don't dare suggest anything until this is cleared.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

ok so here is a picture of my switch. Its blurry but youll get the idea and you can see the colors

(pin11=black\yellow) (pin12=solid blue) (pin13=yellow\red) (pin5=solid black) (pin4=black\red)

Last edited by xavier; 04-20-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement