Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

bad westco battery

for the past month, my 2 year old westco goes week if bike sits for 4-5 days. hard to start bike with out charging first. befor it could sit for a month with no problem, tap button, bike fires right up. not anymore.

anyway, i ordered a new battery, local stores didnt carry any MF batteries for bikes. which was hard to believe...lol.

got new battery, installed it. went to start bike. and all i got was..click click click. i figured i was dead, charged it over night. this morning, reinstalled, engine turned 3 times, and click click click. put back on charger, charged for an hour, tender shows full charge. tried 1 more time, engine turned over twice and click click.

im done with this battery.

i charged my 2 year old battery, installed it, bike fired up like always.

has anyone else had this happen with the westco. im going to try to get a refund for the new battery.

went on a poker run yesterday, stopped at a bike shop about 30 miles away, they had some MF "drag specialty" batteries, im going to go back there one day this week to get a closer look at them, they had a price tag that showed $65.00.

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
sounds more like you have a short somewhere...or bad ground...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

i thought that also, but after looking things over, i couldnt find anything.

wouldnt my bike do the same with my old battery in it?

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
maybe, maybe not... If your old battery has more CCA's than your new one, a little ground problem could be slightly overlooked by the stronger battery... another thought... maybe your starter is in need of a good cleaning. I think that is what is wrong with my bike.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:22 PM

Westco isn't the only mfg to turn out a bad battery once in a while. I've heard at least one other account of a bad Westco right out of the box, but we've had a few others as well. Looks like you ordered a new MF battery and it wouldn't crank the bike. Unless you didn't tighten the new battery down as good as the old, it sounds to me like the new one is bad. It's not likely that a two year old MF battery that won't hold a charge for very long has more CCA than a bran new MF right out of the box. Just my opinion, but that's what it sounds like to me. Charging systems can be tricky though... What's the CCA of the new battery? Similar to the old?

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

both batteries are the same. 12V14L-B. yea, I remember others getting bad batteries out of the box. i think that's what i have, just a bad battery.

if i like the "drag specialty" battery, i may just get one of them, and save some money over the westco.

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

Last edited by cm4cm5; 04-11-2010 at 06:14 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
Westco isn't the only mfg to turn out a bad battery once in a while. I've heard at least one other account of a bad Westco right out of the box, but we've had a few others as well. Looks like you ordered a new MF battery and it wouldn't crank the bike. Unless you didn't tighten the new battery down as good as the old, it sounds to me like the new one is bad. It's not likely that a two year old MF battery that won't hold a charge for very long has more CCA than a bran new MF right out of the box. Just my opinion, but that's what it sounds like to me. Charging systems can be tricky though... What's the CCA of the new battery? Similar to the old?
I agree. Any company can make a bad battery. I have bought 6 WestCo batteries, for 5 bikes. I had to replace one. It lasted more than 5 years. I just recently started using battery tenders, bought 5 of them at once. But, I am sold on WestCo batteries, and intend to stick with them. IMO, they build a quality battery, sounds like you got a defective one. Contact WestCo about it, if you got it from them. Otherwise go back to wherever you bought it. I get all mine online, directly from WestCo. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

i emailed westco on my battery issue on the 11 (Sunday), come in from work today the 15 (Thursday), new battery setting inside my storm door. brought it in, and put on tender/charger. charged for about 30 seconds, then red light turned green. ill put it in bike later to see what happens.

very impressed with there customer service. they didn't even notify me about sending new battery. unless my wife deleted the email, and didn't tell me...lol

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:53 PM
hummer5955

I also have experienced two bad batteries from Westco. Worked for months after returning to get the credit due me. It never came and I just gave up. I then bought a new Interstate and have never had a problem with it. All were MF batteries. My suggestion is to stick with something you know and buy locally. Hope this helps!

2005 VN750 R/R relocation, Lubed Splines, Engine Guard & Pegs, Saddlemen Bags, Roush Triple Chromed Headlight & Blinker Visors, Plasma GT-XA-VIB Headlite Blub, Memphis Slim 17" Windshield, Airhawk Seat Cushion, Chrome Billet Mirrors, Interstate Sealed Battery, Iridium Plugs, Metz Tires
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer5955 View Post
I also have experienced two bad batteries from Westco. Worked for months after returning to get the credit due me. It never came and I just gave up. I then bought a new Interstate and have never had a problem with it. All were MF batteries. My suggestion is to stick with something you know and buy locally. Hope this helps!
what interstate battery did you get?... price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement