Starting issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Starting issue

I brought a new MF battery sometime last month. Did the install according to the instructions, but since my bike was getting work done I just let it on the tender the whole time. Well I took the bike out the other day quick and I did panic stop and stalled the bike. The bike would not turn over and kept acting like it was a dead battery. Pushed it home, I was literally down the street, and had the key off while I pushed it home. When I got home before I put the cover on it I tried to see if it would turn over and it did. Something with the battery? Or something else?

I am really getting sick of the condition of this bike and wonder what was going through the previous owners head.

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

My first thought is you need to clean and/or tighten the battery cables. Check that both ends of each cable are clean and tight.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Both connections are tight and clean, will check for volts with the ignition on later on.

1992 Vulcan 750.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Cruisin' through my 50's

When you turn the key to the on position and it doesn't start, do the neutral and oil lights on the insturment panel come on? Do the running lights come on? All my lights would come on but it wouldn't turnover or click. I had to clean the ignition switch contacts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

When I turn the key to the on position, the neutral and oil lights come on all the time. All lights come on, even the head light now that I did the headlight rewire. I have replaced the ignition switch with a brand new one to fix my turn signal issue I had. After I keep trying to crank it I do believe that time the head light did go off.

Are those two lights supposed to go on?

1992 Vulcan 750.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM

My starter motor sucked too many amps preventing the engine from starting. I cleaned the armature, replaced the brushes, and wham-o easier starts. That was 7 or 8 years ago and I can tell it's time to clean again.

BTW - not all 'battery tenders' work with AGM batteries. I found this out the hard way using the BELL battery maintenance charger. Fried my Sears AGM but they replaced it anyway (go SEARS!) and told me NOT to use a 'float type' battery tender.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Cruisin' through my 50's

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2043 View Post

Are those two lights supposed to go on?
If by "those two lights" you mean the Oil (red light) and Neutral (green light), then yes they should be glowing when the key is in the On position. Well I guess technically the Neutral light will only be glowing if the bike is in neutral, mine usually is when I'm starting it. The two front running lights (amber lights on sticks) are also on. My headlight is off. When I press the starter button the bike starts and the headlight comes on and the Oil light goes off.

As far as I know I have a stock 2003 Vulcan 750. I bought it used so who knows if the guy(s) before me changed something.

Last edited by newOldUser; 04-05-2010 at 03:53 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM

Ok guys mine does the same darn thing will run great at times but is hard to start very cold natured beast...after a day of riding in Aug last year shut it off to cross the ferry at cave in rock and had to push it to the parking lot ...I was so peed off....put a new battery in when we got home and a month later it did it again ...seems to only not want to start if i turn it off with the kill switch ....been just turning the key off but I had a blonde moment the other day and forgot and hit the switch...wouldn't start had to put a battery charger on it but the battery didn't click it just didn't have enough juice to turn it over ....somebody help before I do something drastic to her......

2000 vn750 purchased in May 2008 13658 miles on her
degoated Cobra pipes added
metzler 880 on the rear in May 2009
Street Shield EX...(no more bugs)

NEEDED MODS
relocate rear turn signals
wanting to add a highway bar

But hey shes all mine and I love riding every chance I get!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bikermom2008; 04-05-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikermom2008 View Post
Ok guys mine does the same darn thing will run great at times but is hard to start very cold natured beast...after a day of riding in Aug last year shut it off to cross the ferry at cave in rock and had to push it to the parking lot ...I was so peed off....put a new battery in when we got home and a month later it did it again ...seems to only not want to start if i turn it off with the kill switch ....been just turning the key off but I had a blonde moment the other day and forgot and hit the switch...wouldn't start had to put a battery charger on it but the battery didn't click it just didn't have enough juice to turn it over ....somebody help before I do something drastic to her......
You're not forgetting to turn the key off after killing it with the kill switch, are ya? That is something that I might do.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Nah I live in town you don't leave the keys in anything not even the lawnmower....will do fine if I don't use to stop/run switch to turn it off.....

2000 vn750 purchased in May 2008 13658 miles on her
degoated Cobra pipes added
metzler 880 on the rear in May 2009
Street Shield EX...(no more bugs)

NEEDED MODS
relocate rear turn signals
wanting to add a highway bar

But hey shes all mine and I love riding every chance I get!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement