Ignition switch / starter / button ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Cruisin' through my 50's

Ignition switch / starter / button ?

I have a 2003 Vulcan 750 with 19,000 miles on it. This season it's really giving me starting problems.

I put the key in the ignition, turn to the ON position and get the oil and neutral lights to light up. I have the kickstand up and the Off/Run switch set to Run. I push the starter button and nothing happens. No clicking, no attempt to turn over. Thinking it might be an ignition switch problem I've played with the key. Turn it to the off and then on several times. Trying to start each time. Eventually it does start. Once it's running everything seems fine and it doesn't cut out like some people have reported with the ignition switch.

So is this the infamous Ignition switch problem or might it be something else? Do the Oil/Neutral lights come on with the ignition switch problem?

I should also say that I put in a new MF battery early last year and did a check on it when the problem started. It seems fine.

This problem started late last season and maybe happened once every 30+ starts. Usually just one bad start, turn the key off and on and it would start. I put it away last season and I guess I hoped that the long Winter rest would allow it to heal itself (the old "head in the sand" theory) No luck, now it's happening about every 10 starts and taking longer to get it to start.

I've seen the write up on cleaning the switch in the Verses and it makes me wish I had much longer narrower fingers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Check your battery cable connections.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Cruisin' through my 50's

Thanks niterider. Sometimes the simple things get overlooked. Both the positive and negative connections took about an 1/8th of a turn. It fired right up on the 4 or 5 test starts that I did. I need to wait for better weather for more testing.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I learned that one first hand after replacing my battery. Forgot to tighten the ground at the frame.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Cruisin' through my 50's

Well, it was a nice dream while it lasted but the problems back. I've tightened the battery connections with a wrench and still have the the problem. When I have time, maybe this weekend, I'm going to take apart the kill switch / starter button assembly and clean the contacts then it's on to cleaning the ignition switch.

I did a search but didn't see any photos of the cleaning process. If someone knows of some please post a link.

I want to thank Harvey_birdman and the others who have posted some real good write ups with photos. They've been a big help to me. Thanks. If I can find the camera maybe this will be my chance to pay it back.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Did you clean the connection that you tightened??? Since that helped for a bit you may try cleaning the connections.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Cruisin' through my 50's

Thanks. They looked pretty clean but it's easy get at the battery connections so I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt.

My gut feel is that it's the ignition switch because eventually it does start after I wiggle and cycle the key a few times. Of course maybe in frustration I'm moving the bike around and that's causing something else to make contact again.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I second your motion on the ignition switch. its real easy to rebuild.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=624

I disassembled a switch a couple of years ago and still have the photos up. This will at least give you some idea of what you'll be looking at once you get the switch opened up. Good luck!

C
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:25 PM

i had a similar issue a year ago, i found out that the switch under the clutch lever had a bad connection. i never had time to clean (i really need to!!!)..now i have to gently touch (or tap) the clutch lever to start my bike (while holding the start button)...it's actually kinda cool ... 'touch' start
but seriously i am cleaning it (or maybe just change it) this week.

my two cents !

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement