A better option to LED Signals and Lamps - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Talking A better option to LED Signals and Lamps

i am currently working on some new LED tail lights. I am bout to order the parts and peice it together. i will post the results... just to put things into an easy comparison. the stock 1157 bulbs burn @27watts a peice when at stop and @14watts on run (together that is 54 watts stop, 28 run). they produce 402 lumens and 38 lumens of white light a peice respectively. a red filter lets about 10-20% of that white light to pass through. that is 160 lumens at stop & 15 lumens at run(vulcan 750 has 2 1157's, this is a total -red filter loss).

your typical red led (runs at 80mA) produces about 1 lumen a peice (but this is red light, very little is lost in the red filter). I will be using a new type that produce 30-40 lumens a peice at 350 mA. I will use 9 of them. @ 4.5 watts total will power the running mode, and 11.5 watts will power the brake mode..... what i cant wait to see is the brightness. run should produce 67-90 lumens of red light compared to 15 of the 1157's and brake is a blistering 270-360 lumens compared to the 160 previously.

I will use the stock red lense that is on the tail light, and the way the led's will hit it it should look simmilar to the infinity tail lights (they use a dimmer led that produces 1-3 lumens a peice and they have 16 of them per light)

if anyone else is interested, let me know. FYI cost of parts will be about $50 for the whole thing and will out last the bike (these led will still produce 70% of the original light at 11yrs of 365 day 12 hr a day use, at 30mph that is 1.5 million miles ). I will post up the results on here....and if anyone in the dfw area has a light meter, i will be glad to meet up so we can get some actual results.

for those of you that wanna see more, here are some links

my led diagram http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/krfiii...&.dnm=a028.jpg

a mock brightness view of the tail light and approx placement http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/krfiii...&.dnm=5dfa.jpg

If this works out well, some Led/HID headlight or driving lights are next. I've found some promising Leds that will kick out some light. they would make some kick butt lights :P

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 09:56 AM

Where do you get these bulbs? I'd like to try to build my own one day. Eventually, I might get some heated clothing, and I'm going to want to shave as much wattage from the bike that I can right now befor I do that.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Uber Member

i will be getting mine from futureelectronics.com... they sell Lumileds Luxeon emmiters and stars. do you have any experiance working with circuts? if not i can help. i am also in the proccess of figuring out how to do the turn signals. these leds fun off 3-4 volts... so they have to be wired up in 3's. they would be too bright with 3 per signal.... so that is my next project.

let me know how yours goes. any questions just ask. I may just start selling these if i get mine to work just how i want it.... big harley and chopper market

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 PM

So, You are running 3 groups of three directly off of the 12 volts from the bike? When the lights are dim, are you running one group of three, and then for the brake, you are running all three groups of three? I'm not quite seeing that in your diagram though. Is that what you are doing, or are you doing something else?

These lights will be vitually instant on correct? That's something I am really wanting. To me, the brake lights seem pretty glacial.

My other desire is to make some more running lights for up front. I'd like to add some low wattage passing lamps. Have you seen the luxeon 3 emitter shown on that site? They say that they give off over 190 lumens each. If thats so, you could add just 5 per light and have some pretty bright lights up front. Try to stuff the lights into some gutted driving lights and I think things would be peachy.

Do you know the wattage for the Luxeon 3's? That whole site looks pretty confusing to me actually.

I'd love to build something like this, but I'm just not sure which lights are best.

What made you go with the Luxeon 1's rather than the 3's? Are they brighter?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Uber Member

i deleted this post.... browser acted funny

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

Last edited by Hizzo3; 03-29-2006 at 02:07 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Uber Member

K here is the explination. the led's are all connected. the 350 ma buck powers all of them and so does the 750 mA during brake...it is how the leds are connected that are inportant. the parallel (left-right) divides up the ampage, so on run power that is 350 ma/3.....the series (up-down) split up voltage, but the buck also draws 2 volts. this means on run mode that is 14.5-2=12.5/3. make sense. all leds on at all times.

these light up in 125 milliseconds which is 12.5/100ths of a second. that is pretty dang close to instant on (you eyes can see faster than 1/24 of a second)

now to the driving lights....i am currently working on these. the key here is optics...the leds will produce light but it u cant send it where you need it, its useless.also a 35 watt halogen mr 16 puts out about 600-900 lumens(light output) depending on quality. so u may need a few for driving lights. Current leds are best for signals, although they are working on some that will perform better for headlights and so on...the advantage of leds are the lumens per watt. the MR-16 mentioned above has an effacy of 17-25 lumens per watt... the led has 41 lumens per watt. but for time beaing untill better optics and so are availiable, its way too much cost and time to make an led driving lamp. FYI all leds run off voltage and ampage provided... watts are found by this: watt=volt*amps so white lux 3 are 4volts*750ma=3 watts... but the can be under and over driven.

i went with lux 1's for several reasons.....

1) had to get voltage down so i had to use multiples of 3
2) lux 1's are more efficent. 1's produce 40 lumens per watt vs. 3's produce 30 lumens per watt.
3) heat... keep in mind these are computer components, over 160 deg F and these are toast.
4) cost. these are 2 bucks a pop vs lux 3's are 5bucks
5) brightness. lux 3's are over kill. that would be 120*9 =1080 lumens....my silverstar headlight puts out that much white light... imagine staring into ur headlight. that is what the person behind u see's. they'd hit u cause they couldnt see..... i may even consider toning down these lux 1's ( the buck's have a dimmer option) or using a lux and superflux(also on lumileds site) combo

FYI for your lights.... i will soon be upgrading to HID's. not the cheap hid wanna be lights. the real thing. but another project another thread.....btw 35 watts of juice put out 3200 lumens vs ur headlight 55 watts put out 1000 lumens

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 AM

http://www.leddynamics.com/LuxDrive/drivers.php

Are these the drivers you are talking about? Where are you getting yours? They seem to run at least 17 bucks, and if you take two of them, plus lights, you come up to around 60 bucks. Thanks for your help so far.

Ben
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Uber Member

yeah those were it... i was just estimating my cost... never really figured it out... still bout the same that you'll pay for 2 custom dynamic's 1.85's

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Uber Member

I've decided that this design puts out way too much light....will be redoing the design for a ver. #2 hope to have it planned out by this weekend...

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
R/R relo

TOC ACCT's