beefing up the chargind system Part 1.. the R/R - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
beefing up the chargind system Part 1.. the R/R

I just ordered a few parts to Build a MC 3 Phase Voltage Regulator/Rectifier... Supposed specs is 14.5V constant over all rpm ranges. The parts are supposed to be coming in the mail early next week. Once I get this all soldered up, I will post more... along with real time power ratings...

Ohh and I got every thing to build the R/R for 25 bucks... no used parts either...
slimvulcanrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I just ordered a few parts to Build a MC 3 Phase Voltage Regulator/Rectifier... Supposed specs is 14.5V constant over all rpm ranges. The parts are supposed to be coming in the mail early next week. Once I get this all soldered up, I will post more... along with real time power ratings...

Ohh and I got every thing to build the R/R for 25 bucks... no used parts either...
whats the deal heavier diodes and resistors =more heat capacity what about the heat sink?I wanna see this and I am not being a wise guy.




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
I know you aren't being a wise guy... and I can't take 100% credit for this... I found this mod on an XS650 forum...

The parts used is a Ford truck External Voltage regulator used from the late 60's to mid 80's, and a three Phase rectifier from eBay. Total cost in parts was 26 bucks. Once I get the parts, I am going to barrow my friends camera and give a step by step tutorial on how to do it.

Rectifier


Voltage Regulator (4 wire+ case ground)

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 03-20-2010 at 01:08 AM.
slimvulcanrider is offline  
 
post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Linkmeister Supreme
 
OlHossCanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 7,960
iTrader: (8)
   
Hey slim, I only understand this at an elementary level, but it sounds interesting and promising.

I believe our newbie member, chiller, mentioned he is an electronics engineer. He might be a good collaborator with you on this project.

Good luck with the experiments. 8)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15


TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
OlHossCanada is offline  
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:41 AM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I know you aren't being a wise guy... and I can't take 100% credit for this... I found this mod on an XS650 forum...

The parts used is a Ford truck External Voltage regulator used from the late 60's to mid 80's, and a three Phase rectifier from eBay. Total cost in parts was 26 bucks. Once I get the parts, I am going to barrow my friends camera and give a step by step tutorial on how to do it.

Rectifier


Voltage Regulator (4 wire+ case ground)
Slim,

I have to be a smart ass on this one, how can you take 100% credit for this when you found out how to do it from another forum? LMAO ROTF

I couldn't resist, all BS aside I saw another company do the same and market this. They have had great results, good luck and keep us posted.


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
lance328 is offline  
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Slim,

I have to be a smart ass on this one, how can you take 100% credit for this when you found out how to do it from another forum? LMAO ROTF

I couldn't resist, all BS aside I saw another company do the same and market this. They have had great results, good luck and keep us posted.
I think I took this from those same guys.

To Oll Hoss, I don't think colabiration will be necissary at this stage... every thing I am doing has already been done and tested on other bikes... I am just converting it from a 5 wire R/R to a 6 wire R/R...

Stage two is Tackeling the Stator... and that is going to take a lot of colaberation
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
Slim,

I have to be a smart ass on this one, how can you take 100% credit for this when you found out how to do it from another forum? LMAO ROTF

I couldn't resist, all BS aside I saw another company do the same and market this. They have had great results, good luck and keep us posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I know you aren't being a wise guy... and I can't take 100% credit for this... I found this mod on an XS650 forum...

The parts used is a Ford truck External Voltage regulator used from the late 60's to mid 80's, and a three Phase rectifier from eBay. Total cost in parts was 26 bucks. Once I get the parts, I am going to barrow my friends camera and give a step by step tutorial on how to do it.

Rectifier


Voltage Regulator (4 wire+ case ground)
the regulator/ rectifier setup looks fairly straight forward and i see whe this could be a help in this area ,and Lance didn't you have some stators rewound with heavier wire ,I assume to handle the high heat caused by the load on the system,or did I Imagine that?And if you did have you heard how the heavy duty stators are working out,or have they not been in service long enough to know yet?




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:16 AM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
the regulator/ rectifier setup looks fairly straight forward and i see whe this could be a help in this area ,and Lance didn't you have some stators rewound with heavier wire ,I assume to handle the high heat caused by the load on the system,or did I Imagine that?And if you did have you heard how the heavy duty stators are working out,or have they not been in service long enough to know yet?
The stators are doing great so far, Tim @ TPE did a great job on them. I am waiting for anther to come back for another engine I am building.


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
lance328 is offline  
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 369
iTrader: (0)
 
That voltage regulator is for an alternator, so I am very interested to see Part 2 of this thread..
pappa is offline  
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
GIMPYRDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburg, TX
Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)
 
Definitely peaked my interest. Keep us posted.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC
GIMPYRDR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
charging system , rectifier , stator , voltage regualtor

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome