Review: Turn signal conversion by "Electrical Connection" - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Adventuregeek

Review: Turn signal conversion by "Electrical Connection"

As part of my quest for more visibility, I purchased and installed Electrical Connections' turn signal conversion kit. They sell it at this site for about $50.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/...star&sport.htm

THE VERDICT: NOT RECOMMENDED.

This kit adds a ring of red LEDS on the inside of your rear turn signal lenses. For running and brake lights the LEDS shine red through the amber lens. Your regular bulb does the turn signals. From the pix on their site, I expected a somewhat solid red light. Instead, you see a distinct, thin red ring that's only 1.5 inches wide (half the diameter of the lens). There's no scattering to make the rest of the lens light up.

It did increase my visibility somewhat, since the rear turn signals are running lights now. However, they're NOT very bright, and not very eye-catching when the brakes are applied. They were also a pain to install, so much so that I posted a how-to on this forum, to share some tricks to make it easier.

There are better, brighter ways to light up your ride that cost the same or a little more than this one. Easier installation most likely too.

I recommend instead: Hyperlite brake lights.

http://www.hyperlites.com/

I was disappointed with the EC conversion kit, and very impressed with my wife's Hyperlites... so I just added a set to my Vulcan to get the job done right. Hyperlites are impossible to ignore, easy to install, and so tiny they hide beside the license plate. You have your choice of flash patterns or none. I use the 5-second flash going to steady. If I'm stopped and worried about someone approaching from behind, I can reapply the brake for some psychotic LOOK AT ME flashing, which then settles down to not annoy those behind me.

Installation? Thirty minutes. Tools needed? A wire stripper, or your knife if you're careful.

UPDATE: I shot some video showing these in action on my Vulcan. Youtube resized it and the titles are a bit fuzzy, but you get the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGWfVu4wWmQ

Your mileage may vary, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good luck with your own lighting upgrades, and ride safe!

-Tiki

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Coastered, R&R relocation, MCCT's, Koso mirrors, Memphis Shades windshield, Mutazu GA hard bags, big monkey in the saddle. ATGATT: Olympia AST hi-viz jacket, Recon 2 (convertible) pants

Last edited by Tiki Mon; 03-29-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

i have the "Electrical Connections" turn signal conversion kit on my bike. but i have clear lenses, and amber turn signal bulbs. granted there not that bright during the day, but at night, Ive had other riders and cagers say they help get me noticed, and when the brakes are applied, (with my back off brake flasher) my tail light and running lights flash opposite of each other, and really grab your attention. so I'm really happy with the kit.

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 PM

In my state, as in most probably, you cannot use amber running lights in the rear like you can in the front, but there is no law that says rear turn signals have to be amber. You can use red turn signals. Both my car and truck use red rear turn signals, as they were built long before there was such a thing as amber turn signals.

All you need to do is put red turn signals on the back, and then you can use them as both auxiliary tail lights and turn signals. That's what Harley does. I may do this at some point. I already have a brake light modulator. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Love My Baby

Great write-up, Tiki Mon. I was thinking of getting the electrical connection conversion kit, but the install looked ridiculous and I wasn't sure of the brightness, etc.

Thanks!

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

I really like those Hyperlights, especially the white modulated one for the front. I can`t decide which rear set-up I like best, but the 3 way run/turn/brake has my interest.

Thanks for the link and review. I don`t know about loud pipes, but bright flashy lights save lives!!

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrick View Post
Great write-up, Tiki Mon. I was thinking of getting the electrical connection conversion kit, but the install looked ridiculous and I wasn't sure of the brightness, etc.

Thanks!
I purchased the kit..received it and said WTF? Tossed it in the trash...40$ out the door...such is life.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Which Hyperlites kit does your wife have? The 8 LED or 16 LED version?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Adventuregeek

We both have the 8-LED kits. Her 8-kit was so bright, I didn't see the need for 16s when I added them to mine. They would sure be blazing though!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 AM

I really like the idea behind the EC Turn Signal Conversion. I think that having running lights on the ends of the turn signals helps to give your bike more "substance", so it's a little easier for others to see how wide it is. When I see a single head or taillight, I have to take a moment to figure out whether it's a bike or a car with a bulb out. Even if they're not the best lights ever, two smaller lights around your taillight should help to point out that it's a bike.

I know I could add Hyperlites or switch to red signals and run them as running lights too, but I have a pet peeve with using a single bulb for running/brake/signal lights (GM still does this on a lot of their cars). I really think it's much better to have a separate amber light for the turn signal. I was pretty close to ordering a set of Hyperlites and a plate bracket, but I don't like the way they're even closer to the ground.

I'm thinking I might use Dynamic Clusters to get the same effect as the turn signal conversion kit, but hopefully with better results. Go to http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc..._LED_Clusters_ and scroll down a bit. The GEN200-AR-1156 would plug into our standard rear signal socket and includes wire pigtails to hook the red running/brake LEDs into the taillight. The red LEDs should shine through the stock lens (like the EC kit, but hopefully better due to brighter LEDs), or you can switch to clear lenses for even better results (since the LEDs themselves are amber and red).

I'd prefer having amber LEDs throughout the array so it's a full circle instead of just a ring, but I realize there's only so much you can do with a small area like that. Just looking at them, that's about the only downside I see.

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Hey InvisiBill, I don`t think those Dynamic Clusters will fit in the vn750 signal housing.
They are 2" diameter, and the housing will only accept 1.8" according to my measurements.

I was looking at the New Moon Shinez LED Driving/Turn Signal lights on that link just the other day though, and am seriously considering installing a pair of those on my 750. It is a bit pricey though, at ~$74 for a pair of lights and either clear or smoked lenses.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
Sponsored Links
Advertisement