H3 LED Driving light follow up. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

H3 LED Driving light follow up.

Some weeks back I purchased H3 LED bulbs for driving lights on my VN. I had some time today so I installed the LED bulbs in driving light housings I had in my garage. I wasn't expecting much (paid less than $10 for both including S&H) knowing that you get what you pay for...

They fit the same as a standard H3 bulb, but consume less than 2 watts. The color is on the blue side of white, I like that. Don't know how they will hold up to the vibes on a bike, but should be as good or better than a standard halogen at about the same purchase price.

Brightness? not nearly as bright as a 55w halogen but I'm not looking for more light on the road, just more visibility for on coming drivers.

Here are the bulbs:

Photo in standard size housing from 5 feet away(4x6)

Close up photo with camera stopped down to see the bulb:

Overall, for the price, light output, and next to nothing amp draw, (if they hold up to M/C abuse), I recommend these to VN users that want to add extra light for safety.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6

Last edited by dirtrack650; 01-10-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I just installed headlight and brakelight modulators on mine. I hope that helps with visibility. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Calif Rider

Hi Jerry, the modulator on the head light will get alot of attention. Some people in front of you when your riding will not like them. I have had them pull over so I can pass them. Once when I was following my wife home on by bike my wife did the same thing. She took a different street home, she said the head light really bugged her in the mirror. Also I have seen drivers make a quick stop before they enter the intersection because of the modulating head light. They suddenly see you, some even think you maybe a cop.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by weh44att View Post
Hi Jerry, the modulator on the head light will get alot of attention. Some people in front of you when your riding will not like them. I have had them pull over so I can pass them. Once when I was following my wife home on by bike my wife did the same thing. She took a different street home, she said the head light really bugged her in the mirror. Also I have seen drivers make a quick stop before they enter the intersection because of the modulating head light. They suddenly see you, some even think you maybe a cop.
I read someones comment that if you are stopped behind a car at traffic lights, as a courtesy you may want to put your light on dim until you start moving again. I guess the main thing when using the HL modulator, is to be aware when its strobe effect may be more annoying than helpful.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 PM

I have had modulators on both my headlight and taillights for several years now. I have only had one person pull out in front of me since installing them. I have had several people tell me that it definatly makes me stand out. On the other hand, I did have one butthead, slam on his brakes on in front of me and threaten to run me off the road if I didnt turn it off. Needless to say he didnt get his way. I even had one of Pennsylvania's finest tell me it was against the law to use headlight modulators. If you are going to use them, my advice is to carry a copy of the law with you for those times you get pulled over. (yes you will get pulled over and questioned) It has happened to me at least 4 or 5 times. I carry extra copies with me to give out to the police that question their legality. When your traveling down the road and people trimming the trees along the highway are looking at you or even passengers in oncoming cars , my experience with them tells me that people are noticing, so I recommend them to everyone.

Kuryakyn Flame Grips
Bar End helmet locks
Chrome / Gold "Live to Ride Mirrors"
Coastered, Shaved & Jetted
K&N Pod Air Filters
KisanTech headlamp & Taillight modulators
Iridium's
Leather Lyke Hard Bags
Voltmeter, Clock
Stebel Nautilus horn
Slipstreamer SS28
J&M CB Radio
Audiovox CCS-100 Electronic Cruise Control
Mustang Seat, Protac Drivers Backrest
And of course the obligatory stator replacement[/FONT]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM

They are legal in my state. Most of the newer Goldwing riders around here use them. In fact, it is unusual to see a newer Goldwing without them. Many also put a whole row of flashing lights across the rear of the trunk that come on when they apply the brake.

And as I stated in another post, I often use the 4 way flashers in slow moving stop and go traffic.

As far as some moron slamming on the brakes in front of you, I have had that happen many times without a headlight modulator. I maintain sufficient following distance to stop in time. A motorcycle will easily out brake a car, but you have to give yourself fraction of a second for reaction time. I am also very careful about getting boxed in, I constantly look for ways to get around somebody in front of me. If I have to, I will run a red light, use the shoulder, or even hop on the sidewalk. Under no circumstances will I confront rabbit brained anthropoids like that, they could very well be armed. Better to get a ticket than get shot. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
I am also very careful about getting boxed in, I constantly look for ways to get around somebody in front of me. If I have to, I will run a red light, use the shoulder, or even hop on the sidewalk. Under no circumstances will I confront rabbit brained anthropoids like that, they could very well be armed. Better to get a ticket than get shot. Jerry.
X2
ALWAYS have an escape route!!
That also means NEVER having the bike in neutral when sitting at a light!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Sure would like to see a picture.

Is there any way to hook these things to your brights? Or to your brakes so that they come on for, say thirty seconds, and then go off? Even hooking them to your horn would work. that way you could flash front and rear when you feel endangered and not enrage the voting public the rest of the time.
Just a thought.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement