Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Loads of Questions

Hi guys,
I've finished putting the bike together and the info from this forum has been of great help! I've got it to fire up and it really felt good when it started.

Now that I've got it started, I'm encountering a couple of problems. First the tach is not working all the time and jumps around occasionally. It could be a bad connection at the tach itself b'cos when I tap it, the needle looks like it doing something or it could be the CDI

The 2nd problem I have is that the battery doesn't seem to be charging. I've checked at the battery points itself and the meter is showing 12.31v ~ 12.45v and when I rev it higher, it only goes up to 12.46v. Checking the forum, it seems that the usual voltage is 13 ~ 14volts. After riding it for about 10mins, the RR is still cool. The battery is a new MF and when it's being recharge, the charger starts at 25% (I've got the Pulsetech Xtreme charger).

The 3rd problem is that once the bike heats up after the ride, it starts running rough and eventually dies and refuses to start.

I don't know whether all of these problems are somehow related but I'm thinking that it's either a connection problem or CDI or stator is not charging or the RR has gone down the drain or worse, it's all of the above.

I haven't done the stator and RR test but I'll probably get to it this weekend after I get a new multimeter. I did manage to check the CDI before my old multimeter went bad and compared it with the values in the service manual, I couldn't get the same values for terminal 1 to 6.

Hope you guys can help me out here. Thanks.

Zul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
problem three sounds like the "Phantom Out Of Gas Syndrome" search the forum for info on this...it is usually the gas tank cap breather hole being plugged.

1st problem sounds like a bad connection on the front coil, Is the front cylinder firing?

2nd problem... you need to TS the charging system... do the stator and the R/R test and report back... Start a new thread for each of these three problems to get better TS advice for each
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Calif Rider

On the RR bit even after riding for only 10 minutes the thing should be at least warm or vary warm. It may take longer to get to where it is hot to the touch. You need to do all the checks on the RR and the Stator, to check their out put and continuity. Lots of luck with all the checking, hope it only some bad connections.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

With readings like that, the battery is definitely not charging. I hope it is not the stator, or you'll have to take the bike apart again. I don't even know how the tach works, other than it is electronic, so I can't help there. If it is a fuel tank venting problem that is causing the engine to run rough and die, it is easily checked. Try riding it with the gas cap open. If that doesn't help, that's not it. I doubt that problem is electrical, if it is not a venting problem, it is probably in the carbs, or the petcock.

If you still have any emissions stuff, or the air injection system still on the bike, I would definitely recommend removing any and all of it. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement