Legality - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Legality

Does anyone have any idea if it would be legal to move my turn signals up on to the sissy bar? I've been thinking of relocating my rear flashers to get them out of the way of my saddlebags opening, and thought a strip of amber LEDs up either side of the sissy bar might look cool and be close to a cagers eye level too

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
2003 VN750 "Prozac" (now hers)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

So, why is a raven like a writing desk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Lurker

Hey Rook, I'm not a lawyer but I do have an opinion for you,

Your best bet is to consult your local Department of Motor Vehicles or the equivalent agency in your state. In NY I believe that motorcycles (made after 1969) must be equipped with working front and rear turn signals, but I don't think there are any specifics in the code for how bright, and where they should be placed other than "the rear".

Some of the new Harleys come with two red colored turn signals in the rear and no dedicated stop lamp. Instead the rear turn signals light up in red when the brakes are applied. My personal feeling is that keeping yellow turn signals is a safer thing to do since no one will ever confuse the intention of a yellow turn signal where as a red one could be possibly be mistaken as a brake light. I believe in NY there is a rule that brake lights must be red, but turn signals could be either yellow or red.

You can always ask yourself… do you think a car would see this and do you think a cop would give you any sort of ticket for this?

-Sloppy

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppyburpfest View Post
You can always ask yourself… do you think a car would see this and do you think a cop would give you any sort of ticket for this?
Good point. Except, myself is kind of a smarta$$ and tends toward rudeness, so I try not to consult him too much.....

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Just as a personal preference, I think it would be a bad idea because the sissy bar does not have a lot of room and as a cager I would not be able to determine which direction you are signaling. I would just see a flashing light in the middle of the bike. As far as teh legality, I am not sure.

VROC Number: 31246
2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM

^ I don't know, I see lots of sport bikes out there that have there turn signals right inside their rear fenders. That's only about 4 maybe 5 inches of room to put both turn signals. They're stock too so they must have passed some kind of government scrutiny. I don't know that I would do it as you're losing viz but I can't see it being illegal.

Kinda like this but I've actually seen them even closer together...

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 11-02-2010 at 08:43 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 PM

I like the relocate inline with the license plate or attached to the stop/tail light assembly.

On the bags is cool too...

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You can move them anywhere you want, just as long as they are visaable from the rear.

Most states, you do not even have to have turnsignals...but the catch is if you do they have to work.

If they are still on the stalk and bolted to the upper backrest bar, they should be just as noticable as they were before, perhaps more so really, as they will not be inline with the tail light and should be easier to pick out.

All euro spec Vulcan 750s came with the turn signals mounted right where you plan on moving them BTW.....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
You can move them anywhere you want, just as long as they are visaable from the rear.

Most states, you do not even have to have turnsignals...but the catch is if you do they have to work.

If they are still on the stalk and bolted to the upper backrest bar, they should be just as noticable as they were before, perhaps more so really, as they will not be inline with the tail light and should be easier to pick out.

All euro spec Vulcan 750s came with the turn signals mounted right where you plan on moving them BTW.....

KM
I had actually planned on using a strip of LEDs on either side but, I may have to seek out a pic of the euro spec model of which you speak.

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I bought a 250 Rebel a few months ago to play with, one of the first things I did was to remove the stock turn signals. They are bigger than the ones on the Vulcan, and looked hideous on such a small bike. I had planned to replace them with those small LED ones, but found out they are not legal in my state (BTW, most sportbikes you see with those tiny turn signals have aftermarket non-DOT legal signals, and most of them have had the factory rear fender removed as well) AZ requires the signals to be DOT legal, and be a certain distance apart. No height requirement, as far as I know, but they must say DOT right on the lense. AZ does not require turn signals on motorcycles, but if they are there, they must be legal. So I decided to just go without them. I had already been riding my Yamaha XT225 dual sport bike around without turn signals for almost 3 years. I've noticed that car herders seem to pay more attention to arm signals than they do lights anyway. They probably don't know what they mean, but it catches their attention, so they watch out. I would not recommend this to an inexperienced rider, as you need both hands on the bars. But a more accomplished rider shouldn't really have any problems. BTW, I do still have the stock turn signals on my Vulcan, and plan on leaving them there. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

According to the AMA site on state motorcycle laws, turnsignals are NOT required in Arkansas, so I wouldn't think moving and/or changing them to LED's would be illegal.
BUT..... their safety inspection says...."Random" - Subject to Law Enforcement Road Side Inspection.
So, it kinda sounds like if a LEO doesn't like something, they might decide to write ya up for it.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement