LED Lighting - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

LED Lighting

Hey Everyone hope you are all having a good Sunday!

How does having a lower power consumption wears down on the charging systerm of the Bike? Would it put more load on the R/R since it has to disperce more energy that is not being used?

Where can I get a flasher that is LED friendly for my turn signals?

Thanks in advance

Andre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Love My Baby

I think THIS FLASHER UNIT is a direct replacement for our bikes, for LED turn signal conversions. Just ditch the wiring harness that comes with it as it isn't needed. You can read a little about it in THIS PRIOR POST.

And does lowering the electrical consumption by using LEDs increase the load on the R/R? I think it might, meaning you're probably correct. But it does allow for more wiggle room when adding other electrical components to your bike, such as heated grips or a cell phone charger or GPS, etc. You may want to read this technical article on HOW A MOTORCYCLE CHARGING SYSTEM WORKS. It's interesting.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I really do not see advantage to using LED replacemnet lights for brakes, turnsignals or running lights unless you plan on adding somthing that needs significant power like driving lights or heated accessories.

LED's are not really that much better than the stock lights as far as brightness, their only good use is in lasting forever and using less power.

Cell phone chargers and GPS units use very little wattage, the Vulcan has about 70w of power to spare, so if you do not plan on adding extras that use some juice, it really is cheaper just to stick with the stock incandesent bulbs.

Now, as an aside from the above...if you wish to complement your existing lights by adding LED lights, this makes perfect sence. Keeping the stock brake and tail lights but adding exta LED's to the rear on top of the stock units is in my view the way to go.

You are absolutely correct that replacing the stock bulbs with LED's will in fact cause the R/R to ground out MORE power needlessly and may in fact cause premature failures.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre82s View Post
Hey Everyone hope you are all having a good Sunday!

How does having a lower power consumption wears down on the charging system of the Bike? Would it put more load on the R/R since it has to disperse more energy that is not being used?

Where can I get a flasher that is LED friendly for my turn signals?

Thanks in advance

Andre
I can't answer the R/R load/dispersion issue, that's one for the quantified engineers of the forum. I upgraded to LEDs (Radiantz clusters) for the safety (brighter than stock bulbs) and lower power requirements, which I augmented with heated grips (love, love, love heated grips!).

I've had nothing but rave reviews on the brightness of the LED replacements (brighter than stock bulbs) and I also added a second brake light on the sissy bar for safety (everyone comments on it). Note that side viewing of LEDs in VN750 lenses is an issue, but I ride primarily in daytime, so not an issue for me (wish I could ride more).

Your local auto parts or trailer parts store will "no load" LED compatible flasher for $10+. My local NAPA had one for $12 (but they were out of stock, bought one on eBay).

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Well Fortunatly I do not need heated grips I am a thinned blood kid from Miami, Fl but the GPS, would be a cool thing to add once I get a windshield, but that is something to keep it in mind, I have hear this maybe the albino Elephant there are some companies that make LED with a built in load resistors and there are some out that consume up to 3watt so if you go around the bike with it your looking for almost 15 watts...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Also from what I understand, it you need a different flash unit if you replace the turnsignals with LEDs, as the low power they use is not enough to work with the stock unit. I think that perhaps that is the reason some have "load resistors" but as mentioned, you might want to find out from someone more electonicaly gifted.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

To throw my 2 cents in for all it's worth, I replaced my brake/tail light with the led unit from Clear Alternatives and it seems much brighter than the 2 bulbs that were in there. The bulbs on high filament (brake) suck up a lot of wattage. I also replaced the license bulb with a cheap led from eBay. I was going to do the flashers but they are not on for a very long time and the markers don't draw that much so I felt it wasn't worth the effort. Like I said, just my 2 cents.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 AM

The tail / brake conversion is a good idea because 1- The tail bulbs are on constantly and are not that visible in the daylight. LED's tend to improve daylight visibility as well as night. 2- The brake bulbs suck up 54 watts of power when on. That's enough to draw down the lights at a long stoplight on a hill in my area. I can hold on the brakes as long as I want with my LED replacements w/o worry.

With the extra wattage saved, a brighter headlight may be a good way to balance the load to preserve the R/R.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

LED lights. Everybody on every motorcycle forum I have ever belong to has ask about LED lights at some point. I don't get it. I have never used LED lights, and see no reason to. New bikes, and cars, are coming with LED lights, but they are not simple replacement bulbs for existing type sockets. In many cases, an entire light assembly will have to be replaced if the LED crap goes bad. So instead of replacing a $2 bulb, you have to replace a $200 light, as they are sealed units, and cannot be repaired.

If you really want LED lights for tail lights and turn signals, you can get most of the common old style 1156 and 1157 bulbs in an LED version, that already have a built in resistor, so they work with the stock turn signal flasher. As for me, I like plain old incandescent bulbs. Cheap, easy to replace, work fine, have been working fine for over 100 years, don't see any reason to change. Yes, I'm an old guy. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for putting in your 2,4,10 cents into this conversation I live in Miami, where is hot as hell; therefore, I do not need the grip warmers, but my cooling fan does come on alittle more often than to some of you up in the North sometime even on a steady 35 mph drive the van kicks on that might be a way to save some or load more power on the RR. Will do some more internal thinking ... right now I really need to get a MF battery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement