Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Acid7711
Won't charge on it's own

Well....I was driving home one day, saw my headlight flicker (was somewhat dusk) was like...wtf? Looked down at my volt meter and it was pulling 12's instead of 14's...

I made it home barelly with it in the 11v range after that I tossed a battery tender on it for the next couple days, 12v+ fired right up.

First thing I did when I got the bike was relocate the rectifier. So, I sat out, tested the 3 yellow wires OFF the rectifier harness, all 3 went up, same voltage, with the revs. I figured because of this, stator was fine.

I figured the rectifier took a crap. Well, my new one came in today, plopped it in, 12v+ off the tender charger, fired up with a little help in this cold weather. Took it around the block...no change. Would NOT get above 12v. I didn't ride it long enough to see if it would drop or stay at 12v.

I measured right at the battery 12v on the nuts...

So, rectifier good/new, stator seems to be good after those yellow wires I tested (I redid all the stator connections and soldered them this summer), battery is a sealed maint free, brand new, obviously holding a charge.

So..tell me the bad news..what's goin on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Check that the R/R is getting 12V to the brown wire. If it does, measure the charging voltage right at the regulator output - the white wire. Finally, check the voltage at the black/yellow wire of the R/R - should be close to 0V.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

I'll check em when I get home tonight, or later tonight hopefully and get back to you all. The rectifier is brand spankin factory new, so it deff isn't the problem, but I will check those.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Yup, all 3 were dead on.

Black (ground) was 0v, middle (monitor) was 12v, and the far end (battery) was 12v too.

I just don't get why I can't get the bike to charge. All the stator wires go up and down with the throttle.

Maybe they aren't pushing enough power???? Stator??? Is there ANYTHING else this could be??
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM

The Junction Box (Fuse Box) could be wonky. There is a relay in there, or connection. The power goes from stator to R/R, from R/R to JB, then it goes to the battery. So if you can trace the wire leaving the R/R and check voltage at the R/R.

Sold 750 (9-09)
Bought '07 900 Classic "LT" (6-09)
Mustand Seat (6-09)
Balanced Carbs (4-09)
Adjusted Mix Screws (4-09)
Drilled Baffles 8 holes (4-09)
R/R Relocated (3-09)
Splines Lubed (3-09)
Metzelers ME880 170/80 in back 100/90 in front (3-09)
Painted flat blak (3-09)
Kuri grips (8-08)
Kuri Longhorn pegs (8-08)
Iridium Plugs (8-08)
Highway bar/ engine guard(FS)
Some saddlebags no idea which ones
Facebook group Vulcan 750 Riders (Invite Only Group)
Facebook ID Eli Gaffke
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

That might make sense, because it was like a 'switch' just clicked and all of a suddden BAM my lights just dimmed and I just knew something wasn't right until I looked at the volt meter.

I'll check that tomorrow. I realize these relays either work or don't, most based on magnets to work. Any real way to check them? pull em and check for the "click" they make?
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Black (ground) was 0v, middle (monitor) was 12v, and the far end (battery) was 12v too.
Sorry for not being specific, but I wanted you to test the regulator output (at the regulator) with the engine running. 12V is what you would expect with engine stopped, but it should rise to somewhere around 14V when you rev the engine. If not, then the regulator is shot. If the voltage does rise at the regulator output but not at the battery, then you can look for the problem between the regulator and the battery.

You did not tell if the stator voltages between the phases were good.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

The sator voltages rise and fall with rps, if they're in the correct values, i'm unsure. I have to get in in there to replace the leaking oil gasket anways so i'm probably going to just replace the damn stator while I'm at it.

Like I said, the rectifier I got (thinking it was the original problem) is a 100% brand new factory rectifier. It can't be the problem. Not when two rectfieries (old and new) are reading the exact same outputs at all wires... No chance in that, the problem MUST rely somwhere else....

Sadly at this point, I think the stator is working enough to provide "readings" on my voltmeter, but not enough to charge the bike.

I remember my rectifier used to get hot to the touch, it's cold as ice now, even with the brand new one : /
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Garage
the stator voltages should be from the 50 to 70 volt AC range when read phase to phase on all combinations of the three phases if it is much lower than that or if any phase of the stator shows continuity between it and ground on the engine case the stator is probably bad,remember to check the stator voltage on the ac scale and regulator,output on dc

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
sounds like the JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement