Filled the battery...still died - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Filled the battery...still died

DIDNT HAVE THE MUNY FOR A NEW BATERY SO I FILLED THE OLD ONE. AND MADE ME SOME JUMPER CABLES FOR "JUST IN CASE" THAT WAS THANKSGIVEING DAY. I DIDNT PLUG IT IN LIKE I USUALLY DID. YESTER DAY I WENT TO WORK, NO PROBLEM LIKE NORMAL. BUT I HAD TO GIT IT JUMPED AGIN TO GIT HOME THIS IS THE FORTH TIME IN TWO WEEKS, AND IT DIED ON ME ON THE WAY HOME. PLENTY OF GAS. HAD TO GO JUMP IT TO GIT IT OFF THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY.

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, I THOUGHT FILLING THE BATTERY WOULD MAKE IT LIKE NEW? I TESTED THE BATERY AND IM GITING 12V.

I HAVE 15,000 MILES ON THE BIKE, ORIGINAL BATTERY.

THIS IS THE FINAL STRAW, I WILL DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO TRUST MY BIKE AGIN. CUASE RIGHT NOW I DONT WANT TO RISK EVEN GITING GAS OUT SIDE OF WALKING DISTANCE FROM MY HOUSE.

DID I MENTION THIS IS THE FINAL STRAW BECAUSE TO DAY IT ALL HAPPEND IN THE POURING RAIN, DURING RUSH HOUR, AND IT WAS DARK OUT ALLREADY.

SORRY IF I SEEM TICKED BUT I HAVE DONE EVERY THING I CAN THINK OF TO DO IN MY GARAGE WITH VERY LITTLE TOOLS AND I DONT HAVE VERY MUCH MONY TO JUST REWIIRE THE ENTIRE SYSTEM.

ANY HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED, OF COURSE

CLARK47

2005 VN750
1,200 MILES WHEN NEW TO ME
JULY OF 2006
24,000 AND COUNTING NOW
ALLMOST ENTIRLY STOCK

Last edited by CLARK47; 12-02-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Old Truck Junkie

You probably need a new battery. Get the mf one. Also check the system for proper charging.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 PM

First thing to do is relax, then get a new battery. I know they are pricey, but it will save you some frustration. If you don't have funds for an AGM bat just get a reg cell bat, it will get you by.
Hopefully It's not a charging issue. I'm guessing you've tested it to make sure it's charging. Hope this helps and Good luck.

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Metal radiator drain plug
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list
To much to list

VN900 seat on my VN700
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12903

Debaffling my stock pipes
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12756

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
you probably need a new battery. Get the mf one. Also check the system for proper charging.
i thought "new battery" would be said, more afraid it would be said then thought.

How do i chech for proper charging. Is that when you check the batery terminals with the bike running? Cuase with my multi meter it looks around 13.5 or 14.

CLARK47

2005 VN750
JULY OF 2006
24,000 AND COUNTING NOW
ALLMOST ENTIRLY STOCK
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Love My Baby

15000 miles on the original battery and it's a 2005! I would say you got your money's worth. I think you don't have enough money to NOT buy a new battery. What's the alternative? Drive a car to work and pay $$ for gas? You can get a wet cell for under $50. If you can spare a bit more, get a mainenance free AGM battery. Definitely worth the extra $$ but then again, it's your call.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

the $ issue is realy only a problem becuse its xmas and i have two kids. but i dont have another vehical to git me by till after holidays.

but aparintly like rubyrick said i got my mony worth, i jsut thought they would last longer.

new battery it is!!

will pick one up after work tomorrow.

still would like to know if im checking the charging systim right

thanks guys

CLARK47

2005 VN750
JULY OF 2006
24,000 AND COUNTING NOW
ALLMOST ENTIRLY STOCK
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK47 View Post
i thought "new battery" would be said, more afraid it would be said then thought.

How do i chech for proper charging. Is that when you check the batery terminals with the bike running? Cuase with my multi meter it looks around 13.5 or 14.
Sounds like it's charging, time to go battery shopping. I agree the AGM MF bats are worth the extra money, but I also understand wat it's like not haveing the extra money to spend.

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Metal radiator drain plug
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list
To much to list

VN900 seat on my VN700
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12903

Debaffling my stock pipes
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12756
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 PM

This sounds very similar to the issue I was having with my 2003. I bought an MF battery and bike still died on me a few times. I would charge up the battery and it would run a bit and then die on me again. Battery kept loosing juice. Once I replaced the rectifier, the bike has been running strong since then. Here is the link to test the rectifier from the verses.... https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148 If it turns out the rectifier is bad, go ahead and relocate it and get it away from the goats belly where it can stay cool.

VROC Number: 31246
2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

[QUOTE=CLARK47;121825]i thought "new battery" would be said, more afraid it would be said then thought.

How do i chech for proper charging. Is that when you check the batery terminals with the bike running? Cuase with my multi meter it looks around 13.5 or 14.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavisimo View Post
This sounds very similar to the issue I was having with my 2003. I bought an MF battery and bike still died on me a few times. I would charge up the battery and it would run a bit and then die on me again. Battery kept loosing juice. Once I replaced the rectifier, the bike has been running strong since then. Here is the link to test the rectifier from the verses.... https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148 If it turns out the rectifier is bad, go ahead and relocate it and get it away from the goats belly where it can stay cool.
What is your engine speed (rpm) when you are getting a 13.5-14 volt reading? As engine speed increases from 3K to 5K RPMs, does the voltage increase too? 13.5 -14V @3K rpm is not bad, it should increase to 14.5 to 15V @5K rpm.

If it is not then you need to check the reg/rectifier and the stator.

Also two items about your opening post. It is considerered bad manners to type your whole message in capital letters. It is seen as the equivalent of screaming at your audience. I know how frustrated you must be, and feel like screaming, but it is just not the proper thing to do. `nuff said, no harm done, no foul.

Second is to do with refilling an old battery with new electrolyte. I was sure someone else would have jumped in here by now and warned against doing it. No one has, so I will. A new battery is filled with a specified amount of sulfuric acid and distilled water to make what is called electrolyte.

That is all the acid that should ever be put into that battery. A regular wet cell that needs to be checked for electrolye level periodically, must only be refilled with distilled or de-ionized water. As a result of the chemical reaction to make electricity, or recharging to reverse those reactions, the battery plates eventually become sulfated, or covered with sulfate compounds, because the recharging is not 100% effective in reversing the reactions.

You have discovered for yourself that adding more acid (or electrolyte), to a dead or sulfated battery will not revive it. It is just throwing good money after bad.

By all accounts spending a little more for a MF-AGM battery is most cost effective in the long run, because it may last 2 or 3 times as long as the regular wet cell battery. It will also not spill acid on your battery box and motorcycle frame.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

chavisimo, i'v heard about the rectifier relocating and never knew why, i figured if it screwed up on my bike then i would worry bout it. so that might be the issue now and i will check it out and the verses.
thanks

olhosscanada, first about the all caps thing. sorry bout that. i am military and in a very bad habbit of all caps all the time no mater what. and in fact i have typed ever post on this web site in all caps because it looks weird to me if i dont, but they have never posted as i see them, but now brout to my atintion i will change that, i dont want to come off as a mad person. thank you. i cant do anything about the speling though, thats just me. lol!

and now that i know where i went rong on the battery fiilling thing i will never do that agin. i will pick up a new mf batery tomorow on my day off and i will check the reg/rectifier and relocat it.

thanks all

CLARK47

2005 VN750
JULY OF 2006
24,000 AND COUNTING NOW
ALLMOST ENTIRLY STOCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement