Did the stator have trouble years? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Did the stator have trouble years?

I have a 92 vulcan 750 with 22k miles with original electrics. I bought bike new so I know it's never been into. Are some years better then others as far as the stator go. I never realized these bikes had such issues with electrics until I started reading all this info. The reason I inquire I ride great distances and I would hate to have probs 500 miles from home. thanx......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 01:29 PM
rider

hey bkmartinturbo.

welcome to the forum.

as far as i know, there's no correlation between certain production years and failed stators. i think people have been trying to find some sort of pattern for years now, but without success. the last thing i heard (over on the yahoo! groups forum) was that there's a theory that if the stator goes one time then it's more likely to go another time.

i have a 91 and i just put the second stator in. fortunately, during the first replacement i invested in the toc modded engine cover (tocmanufacturing.com) and so the second replacement took all of one hour to do.

best recommendation would be to buy a voltmeter for your bike so that you can monitor the charging system while you're riding.

let us know if you have other questions.

paul
1991 vn750: 'for great justice'
http://www.globalrecon.org
follow my rides on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/globalrecon

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm not sure the stators on these bikes are more prone to failure than others. But it's a lot more trouble to get to them, for sure. So when it happens on one of our Vulcans, it's a much bigger deal. Remember that this place is like a hospital; you're going to hear about every problem someone needs help with. Not too many posts to the effect that: "I've ridden 50,000 miles with no problems!"

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

good point

very good point "hospital remark". So there are many with high mileage (stators)?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

There was a thread here a while back asking folks how many stators they had installed or the number of miles on their original stator. Should be able to find it with a search. IIRC, EdAlbris had over 75,000 on his original. But he's in UK where the temps are cooler. Many folks think heat has a lot to do with stator longevity.

Member in Phoenix replaced his stator twice, the last two about a year apart. He rigged up an oil line to spray onto and cool the stator and hasn't reported a problem since.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement