stator replacement with toc cover - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
rider

stator replacement with toc cover

has anyone gone through the process of replacing the stator after having
installed the toc cover?

those three wires do not want to budge through that grommet. the stator that's
in the bike now came from rick's motorsports and the grommet was attached to the wires... same goes for the replacement which i'm planning to install.

is there a trick for getting those wires through the grommet or should i
consider just cutting and splicing?

thanks!

paul
1991 vn750: 'for great justice'
http://www.globalrecon.org
follow my rides on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/globalrecon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Love My Baby

Can't you cut the grommet instead of the wires? Or am I just showing my ignorance because I haven't had to pull my stator yet?

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:59 AM

Recon, Rubyrick "hit the nail on the head". What he suggested was exactly the solution I hit upon when I replaced the stator in my bike (with the TOC modification) about ten thousand miles back. You only need to slice one side of the grommet to get the old wires out and the new ones in.

You will, however, want to seal the entire grommet with some RTV silicone sealant, or an equivalent, upon reassembly. Failure to do so will more than likely result in your bike spotting its territory like some blasted Harley every time you park it after a ride----and we wouldn't want that, now would we? Crankcase blow-by WILL force oil fumes, mist and droplets through any opening you omit to seal. Been there, done that. Best of luck to your repair.

'02 VN 750
>67,000 miles
stator replaced @ 50,570 miles
forks rebuilt @ 58,900 miles
currently on third battery & sixth set of tires

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by global_recon View Post
has anyone gone through the process of replacing the stator after having
installed the toc cover?

those three wires do not want to budge through that grommet. the stator that's
in the bike now came from rick's motorsports and the grommet was attached to the wires... same goes for the replacement which i'm planning to install.

is there a trick for getting those wires through the grommet or should i
consider just cutting and splicing?

thanks!
According to TOC you have to cut the wires, instructions below.

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Stat...structions.htm

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twtinkertoy View Post
Recon, Rubyrick "hit the nail on the head". What he suggested was exactly the solution I hit upon when I replaced the stator in my bike (with the TOC modification) about ten thousand miles back. You only need to slice one side of the grommet to get the old wires out and the new ones in.
hey twtinkertoy. thanks for the response. can you be more specific regarding where to cut? the three wires are grouped together in a triangle going through the grommet. where did you cut?

then i'm guessing you dissected the three wires out of the grommet on the new stator and pulled them through?

any additional details (or even better, pix) would be tremendously helpful.

lance: the wires are stuck in the grommet... just cutting them doesn't actually help get them out.

thanks guys.

paul

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:12 AM

A picture truly is worth a thousand words, my friend, but I'm just barely computer literate, so I'll try to explain the procedure instead.

There is one cut to be made from top to bottom (as you look at the grommet mounted on the bike). The cut is made parallel to, and not perpendicular to, the wires. Only cut one side of the grommet; you don't want two separate pieces. Cut down to the first (or outermost) wire, grasp it and pull it to the side (where you made the cut) and down peeling it out of the grommet like you would pull the peel from one side of a banana. This is obviously done after you have the grommet removed from its slot in the cover. Pull the remaining two wires, one at a time, in the same manner out through the slit.

Install the three wires from the new stator back into the grommet; just push the cut apart and insert the wires one at a time, and slide said grommet into its slot in the large stator cover. Don't scrimp with whatever sealant you choose to use; not only around the edges, but also where the three wires come through, as well, and also cover the slice that was made through the grommet. You may think that those wires are jammed together tightly enough not to leak without the sealant-------they are not.

Were we face-to-face, I could show you this procedure in about five seconds flat, but since we must rely on written words, I hope I've been able to express myself coherently and not leave you baffled by my poor communication skills.

'02 VN 750
>67,000 miles
stator replaced @ 50,570 miles
forks rebuilt @ 58,900 miles
currently on third battery & sixth set of tires
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
rider

tw, thanks so much for the reply.

here's the thing... unless i'm misunderstanding or we have different sized grommets... this grommet isn't coming out of its slot in the cover. check out the size of the hole in the cover and then check out the size of the grommet on the new stator wires. both the installed stator and the new stator came from rick's motorsports.

i think my only hope is to try loosening the wires within the grommet currently installed in the bike and then try to pull the other ones through.

am i missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stator_leads_1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2450   Click image for larger version

Name:	stator_leads_2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	2451   Click image for larger version

Name:	stator_leads_3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	2452  

paul

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:41 AM
The Professor

Quote:
tw, thanks so much for the reply.

here's the thing... unless i'm misunderstanding or we have different sized grommets... this grommet isn't coming out of its slot in the cover. check out the size of the hole in the cover and then check out the size of the grommet on the new stator wires. both the installed stator and the new stator came from rick's motorsports.

i think my only hope is to try loosening the wires within the grommet currently installed in the bike and then try to pull the other ones through.

am i missing something?
I did it the way TOC instructed so you don't have to worry about oil leaks or using a big blob of sealer. The grommet is NOT supposed to come out, you need to cut the old wires near the stator and connect the new wires to them and pull through. You will need to cut the connectors off the new wires a couple inches from the end and remove the grommet.

Once you fish the new wires through the old grommet solder the connectors back on and seal with heat shrink or cut the connector off at the base and replace with new ones.

I soldered the old wire to the new one then pulled it through the grommet. If you have a stubborn old wire that does not want to pull out, cut as close to the grommet on the inside of the cover and give a good yank, it will come out. Then you can use piano wire or solder a smaller size piece of wire to pull it through the grommet.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 11-26-2009 at 04:08 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
I did it the way TOC instructed so you don't have to worry about oil leaks or using a big blob of sealer. The grommet is NOT supposed to come out, you need to cut the old wires near the stator and connect the new wires to them and pull through. You will need to cut the connectors off the new wires a couple inches from the end and remove the grommet.

Once you fish the new wires through the old grommet solder the connectors back on and seal with heat shrink or cut the connector off at the base and replace with new ones.

I soldered the old wire to the new one then pulled it through the grommet. If you have a stubborn old wire that does not want to pull out, cut as close to the grommet on the inside of the cover and give a good yank, it will come out. Then you can use piano wire or solder a smaller size piece of wire to pull it through the grommet.
thanks lance. maybe the wires are different on different stators... on the rick's motorsports stators, those three wires are really glued in the grommet tightly. doesn't seem like a yank would get them out, but maybe i'm wrong.

when you were fishing the wires through, had you removed the metal wire from the sheathing and then you just pulled the metal through the existing sheathing which you left in the grommet... or where you pulling the wire through with the sheathing attached?

thanks for your help with this.

paul

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:13 PM
The Professor

Quote:
thanks lance. maybe the wires are different on different stators... on the rick's motorsports stators, those three wires are really glued in the grommet tightly. doesn't seem like a yank would get them out, but maybe i'm wrong.

when you were fishing the wires through, had you removed the metal wire from the sheathing and then you just pulled the metal through the existing sheathing which you left in the grommet... or where you pulling the wire through with the sheathing attached?

thanks for your help with this.
Pulled the wire with the sheath, it was not glued to the grommet and came out with no effort.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED