Need to check connections- Where to start? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Need to check connections- Where to start?

My taillight and license plate light sometimes do not illuminate when I start the bike, yet the head lamp and all other electronics do. Other times it lights up normally as expected. I am assuming there is a loose connection there somewhere, but where do I start the process of finding the problem? I've never messed with anything electrical on the bike yet (aside from replacing the battery.)...TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblAA View Post
My taillight and license plate light sometimes do not illuminate when I start the bike, yet the head lamp and all other electronics do. Other times it lights up normally as expected. I am assuming there is a loose connection there somewhere, but where do I start the process of finding the problem? I've never messed with anything electrical on the bike yet (aside from replacing the battery.)...TIA
My guess would be to take off the seat and make sure the connectors going to the rear lights are clean and connected/not pinched or worn through. Just a guess.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblAA View Post
a test light or volt meter would be your best bet flollow the wires from the light back to the fuse box ... there is a servise manual in my sig and im sure u can find a wireing diagram that will identify the wires in the harness... check both positive and negitive side of the circuit ... i think the best way is with a light and just come back one connection at a time cleaning and dielectric greasing it all the way back ...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I will agree with the 2 posts above. Finding electrical gremlins is not my favorite activity, but maybe I can give you a couple of specifics from the Clymer manual wiring diagram.

The tail/brake light housing has a connector with a B/Y (Black/ with a Yellow stripe) ground wire, a L (Blue) wire for brake light ( I think?), and a R (Red) wire for taillights.

The license plate light has 2 separate single connectors that are spliced into the harness just before the tail/brake light connector. One is the B/Y ground wire, the other is Red. I believe the red must be for taillights and license plate because they both fail at the same time. I think it is likely that the loose connection is on the red wire at the ignition switch at the front, as it is direct line from that switch to the multi pin connector under the seat, and both the rear lights go out together.
These rear connectors are all under the seat, on the left side, just above the shock absorber.

In the event that the red wire is not the problem, the other lines are routed as follows:
The B/Y wire goes to a 6 pin connector in the Reserve Lighting unit.
The L (bLue) wire goes to a 6 pin connector on the right handle bar, front brake light switch.

The one I would check first is the Red wire at the ignition switch.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 11-09-2009 at 04:30 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Love My Baby

Why don't you start with checking the bulbs and their connections? That would seem to be the simplist place to start. Work your way back from there if the bulbs are good and connected well and no corrosion on the bulb ends. I've found most of the time when bulb connections are bad, it's because of tarnish or corrosion on the end the bulb or the socket they sit in. Take a pencil eraser to the tarnish, or scrape it off lightly with a screwdriver until it shines better. Then reconnect and try it again.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack