Iridium Plug Gap (Not what you think) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_Grimm
Iridium Plug Gap (Not what you think)

Hey all,

I know this must have been addressed before. I just can't find it. I have new Iridiums in my '87 VN 750. They are gapped wide at .036(?) or whatever the widest gap is. She doesn't want to cold start worth a damn. And this is on top of a new MF Battery. Is that too wide for a cold natured bike? Should I narrow the gap? Please lemme know!! Thanks!

BTW- Bullwinkle! I got the bags on and they look great! Pics to come!!

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You've got me thinking now. I put some in mine last night. The book says 0.8-0.9mm. Which works out to be 31-35 thou. Mine were midway at 0.85mm straight out of the box. So I left them at that.

I'm changing the leads as well, so I'll have to wait until I've refitted the rear coil till I start it up.

Regards

Ride free, stay safe

Regards to all,
Martin

'88 FJ1200 3CV

1986 VN750 A2 (now sold to another old fart!)

Jardine fishtail pipes (de-goated)
Coastered
R/R relocated
Stator No 2
Avon Venom AM41/42 tyres
Sundance grips
etc
etc
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:49 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Be careful checking/changing the gap on those skinny electrode Iridium plugs. The can break pretty easy. It used to be widely suggested to leave 'em alone because of it, however it can be done, carefully.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 AM

All the posts I have read about the iridiums show they should be .032. However, I don't have iridiums in my bike (yet); so if you have to adjust follow 750Doug's advice.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking I had heard something about narrowing the gap for cold starting bikes but I can't find it now. What is the best way to resize the gap? I have the gapping ring. I used it to widen them. I would go to the slim side and pull up with it so as not to damage the plug. I guess I would just press the top of the plug against a hard smooth surface to narrow the gap and then recheck?

Honestly, the old plugs she came with were at ~0.032 when I removed them. However, some posts here on the plugs suggested a range from ~0.032 to 0.036. I just want to make the most of my investment in plugs and MF Battery. Thanks!!

Also, I fear I may be on the way to a new starter as this one has a SWEET SPOT developing where sometimes I have to have it turned and pressed JUUUST RIGHT to get power.... :-(

But my baby is a little over 22 years old. May just be how she is. Just a BIT testy.

Last edited by Mr_Grimm; 10-21-2009 at 03:41 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:18 PM

Like I stated, my experience with the iridium plugs is nil. I would wait for one of the more experienced members to chime in with a safe way to close the gap so as to not break the electrode or tab. If not I would PM one of them and ask.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393
VROC #31065
TexasVROC
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The plugs should have come pre-gapped, but I checked mine anyway and they were within spec. (0.035 I believe)

You can bend the outer electrode, you just need to be carefull.

Iridiums by nature will give a hotter spark, (even gapped at 0.036) so I would guess your cold starting problem had nothing to do with the spark plugs anyway, perhaps you need to clean the choke?

I really serious doubt that a .002 difference in the gap is going to make your bike start any easier.

Hit the starter as you open the choke all the way. It might not start right off, but should by the 2nd attempt. If it takes more that 4 tries you likely have a carb issue.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:03 PM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Grimm View Post
Also, I fear I may be on the way to a new starter as this one has a SWEET SPOT developing where sometimes I have to have it turned and pressed JUUUST RIGHT to get power.... :-(

But my baby is a little over 22 years old. May just be how she is. Just a BIT testy.
Grimm - I'm having the same trouble but was told by Dianna that she had it as well, so she pulled her starter, opened it up and found that it was full of gunk. She cleaned it thoroughly and problem went bye-bye. Haven't cleaned mine yet but planning to do so soon. Worth a shot to save some major $$$ for a new one.

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced
Voltmeter Installed
Splines Lubed
Metzler 880 Marathons
Front - 110/90-19
Rear - 170/80-15
Carbs Balanced
Carb Mix Adjusted
Fuel Tank Derusted/Lined/Sealed
NGK Iridium Plugs

Last edited by rsawyer; 10-21-2009 at 08:06 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The plugs should have come pre-gapped, but I checked mine anyway and they were within spec. (0.035 I believe)

You can bend the outer electrode, you just need to be carefull.

Iridiums by nature will give a hotter spark, (even gapped at 0.036) so I would guess your cold starting problem had nothing to do with the spark plugs anyway, perhaps you need to clean the choke?

I really serious doubt that a .002 difference in the gap is going to make your bike start any easier.

Hit the starter as you open the choke all the way. It might not start right off, but should by the 2nd attempt. If it takes more that 4 tries you likely have a carb issue.

KM

What you would suggest as a carb problem if the bike seems to run fine and smooth otherwise? She has plenty of power and pick up. She also runs very smooth. No clunking or chugging that I have noticed. She sounds good, too. The cranking issue is sporadic. She has a brand new MF Battery, too.

Any tutorials or suggestions on cleaning the choke?? I love projects!!!

Again, I have noticed an issue with the ignition. I sometimes have to have the key turned and pressed in JUUUUST right to get power when she's in the on position. She has a developing SWEET SPOT. Anything I can do or should do about that??

Thanks!

Last edited by Mr_Grimm; 10-22-2009 at 01:41 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawyer View Post
Grimm - I'm having the same trouble but was told by Dianna that she had it as well, so she pulled her starter, opened it up and found that it was full of gunk. She cleaned it thoroughly and problem went bye-bye. Haven't cleaned mine yet but planning to do so soon. Worth a shot to save some major $$$ for a new one.

Any tutorials or suggestions on pulling the starter?? I have a free weekend starting tomorrow!!

I have noticed that sometimes when she is being diffcult to start that when she does get going FINALLY that she seems to run choppy or sluggish for a few minutes at idle almost like she's flooded but the smell is more of a hard to describe machine smell but not really gas like you'd expect. Typically, in these cases I have to rev the throttle while pressing the ignition to get a sputtery start and die and repeat until she cranks and stays. Then I choke for a bit.

Should have titled this "Starting Trouble..."

Last edited by Mr_Grimm; 10-22-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement