I went through my first set of charging system problems to include stator and regulator and getting stranded on the freeway. Had the stator rewound at TPE and would highly recommend Tim. Not wanting to go through that again, with information from Tim and reading the posts on the board it became evident that the best way to ensure the health of the electricial system is to monitor it with a voltmeter or indicator of some sort.
I did some research and found this neat little LED indicator from Kuryakyn, it's waterproof, comes in chrome and black, and dims at night. http://www.amazon.com/KURYAKYN-GAUGE...876720&sr=8-17
It lists for a mere $33.77 as of this post which considering the cost and time of the electricial parts and getting stranded on the freeway, I thought to be a pretty good bargain. When it got here, the next thing was to mount it so that it looked like part of the bike. I thought right between the spedo and tach would look the best so I set about figuring how to mount it up.
I took out the instrument cluster and saw I could mount it on the plastic cover at the back. I had some aluminum stock that was wide enough so I cut it to the length I needed and rounded the top to match the indicator.
I just drilled three holes in it without regard as to where they went through. I could have been a little more careful since I ended up on one of the braces and had to trim it to allow the cover to fit back on. The shiney part on the ridge just to the RT of the Lt bolt in the picture is where I had to trim it. If you do the mod, aim a little lower or more centered on that screw.
The screws I used are hex head stainless steel screws from Home Depot. I did put small rubber washers between the aluminum and the plastic cover, not really necessary I suppose but it does give it a little cushion. I intended to use self locking nuts on the back but didn't have room for them so I opted for nut plates instead. I ground the screws to keep them short so there is only about 1-2 threads through the nutplate. That's OK because the nutplate puts pressure on the threads and helps to lock them in. This method gave me enough clearence for the cover to fit completely flush as it was.
The large hole is just an access hole for the cover mounting screw.
To connect it, there is an empty ground connection in the headlight. I tied the positive into a keyed hot wire. However, after re-considering, I think it would be better to run the extra wires and connect it directly to the battery. Depending on which wire you connnect it within the headlight bucket, the reading could be affected by system load. Here is the finished product.
It's very bright on the daylight setting, no problem seeing it in the sun. If I find it bothers me I'm going to blank out the daylight indicator and let it run on it's night setting.