Installing Electrical Connection turn signal conversion - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Adventuregeek

Installing Electrical Connection turn signal conversion

This is a photo guide to installing the turn signal conversion kit from Electrical Connection. This kit adds red LEDs for brake and run functions to your stock rear turn signals, while keeping the turn signal bulb and yellow lens to stay legal. http://www.electricalconnection.com/...star&sport.htm

It can be tricky running the wires through the signal stems, which is the main reason for this post. You can't run the wires next to the socket as instructed - it's too tight and will actually mash the insulation off the wires. There are other ways I'm sure, but this was easy and worked for me.

Let's start with the signal unit off the bike, and the lens removed. As you remove the lenses, go ahead and silicone the LED boards to them (allow time to set before reassembly).

Remove the screw holding the stem retainer clip and pull the clip.

Grab the socket by the little tab and pull that up to remove it. Pull it all the way out, and remove the round rubber seal on the socket wires if present. It won't fit anymore when we're done, and silicone will seal it up.

Now you have to remove the rubber stem from the light housing. I made this easy on myself by cutting a notch in the front of the stem so the lip would push in with less effort. The clip holds the stem in the housing, so wot the heck?

Now comes the good stuff. Carefully cut a groove in the stem on the side that faces the FRONT of the cycle. The wires don't have to fit flush in the groove, just so they don't compress so much when installed.

Now drill a hole in the stem as shown. This will run the wire back inside the stem.

Looks like rats gnawed it, but that's where the wire will run.

Now run the non-connector end of the wire in the side hole and out the light end of the stem.

Next handy trick: push the wire protector tube back into the stem and out the light end. This will help run the wires back out.

Part II follows...

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Coastered, R&R relocation, MCCT's, Koso mirrors, Memphis Shades windshield, Mutazu GA hard bags, big monkey in the saddle. ATGATT: Olympia AST hi-viz jacket, Recon 2 (convertible) pants

Last edited by Tiki Mon; 10-08-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Adventuregeek

Part Two!

Now run the turn signal wires and the EC conversion wire back down the tube. I found this made it much easier than trying to shove them down the empty stem.

Now your wires are in place. That big loop in the EC wire will pull into the stem next.

Carefully pull the wires and tube back into the stem. Leave the socket loose with a couple inches of slack.
Leave yourself a few extra inches of slack in the EC connection wire, as you will need to plug in the LED board later.

Stick the socket and the connector end of the EC wire into the light housing, then start the housing onto the stem. Lay the wire flat in that rat-gnawed groove and rejoice at how easily it all goes in.

Apply your favorite weatherproof sealer on the hole and wires before you push the housing on all the way.
Oh, look! EC gave me a tube of silicone!

Now push the stem fully into the housing and wipe off excess sealer. I used some silicone to seal around the wires where they exit the tube (cycle side).
Lotta work to get back where we were, but ain't that wire pretty!

Last, but not least! The EC wire enters behind the socket. Before you replace the retainer clip, tuck the wire under one of the plastic legs that secure the clip. Then run it between the metal reflector and the lens mounting screw towers. This will keep it off the hot bulb and prevent a meltdown.

Plug in your LED board and mount the lens. Happy trails, and ride safe!

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Coastered, R&R relocation, MCCT's, Koso mirrors, Memphis Shades windshield, Mutazu GA hard bags, big monkey in the saddle. ATGATT: Olympia AST hi-viz jacket, Recon 2 (convertible) pants

Last edited by Tiki Mon; 10-07-2009 at 12:50 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Love My Baby

VERY NICE! I've been waiting to convert all my turns to LED, but wasn't certain about the install. I'm looking at the EclipzeLED front turns, and the Dynamic Clusters for the rear, both from Custom Dynamics. The Dynamic Clusters need two wires threaded through the stems so they can be used as brake/running lights as well as turn signals. Check them out HERE. Your install pics are very helpful.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Nicely done and explained Tiki Mon.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

great job...but all i done was cut a notch in the black ring base thing, ran my wires for the LEDs through the notch, then feed through stem with signal wires.

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Tiki, what signal flasher did you change to, for your new LED signals to work properly?

Previously, to get LED signals to flash at a decent rate, the stock flasher (located on the back side of the battery box) was not satisfactory.....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Adventuregeek

Actually, this is about a specific kit which keeps the turn signal bulb, and adds a ring of red LEDS around it. This way you have red run and brakes with yellow turn signals to stay legal. It's a half-conversion, so to speak, and won't affect flash rate.

I've changed the post to make it more clear, thanks for the tip! If you're not familiar with it, the kit can be found here: http://www.electricalconnection.com/...star&sport.htm

If you're going total LED conversion, you'll likely remove the bulb socket entirely. That will leave plenty of room to run wires down the stem, and you won't need to bother jumping through all these hoops.

Last edited by Tiki Mon; 10-08-2009 at 04:54 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to sharil_3300
Brovo and thanks for the idea, but i still love the classic looks of the signals.

[email protected]
no plate 3300
KL, MY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement