newbie with a rear turn ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

newbie with a rear turn ?

Hello all. I just got a 97 Vulcan 800cc (according to title). Not my first bike (CBR and GSXR) but my first cruiser. I'll add pics soon. Got a couple questions on how to wire the rear turn signals. The bike didn't come with them so I got a pair and see where they mount, I just don't see where they wire up to. Any help would be much appreciated. Especially with pics since I am a little ....

And I did do some searching but didn't come up with anything. That, of course, does not mean it isn't there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm guessing on the 800, but if you pull the seat you should see wiring that goes toward the rear of the bike. If you have one of the pick like voltage testors, the kind with the bulb in it, hook it to ground and start the bike and test the wires. The one that's on all the time should be your tail light, the one that powers up with your brake lever is the brake light, the other two should be the left and right turn signals which you can test with the signals on.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a voltage tester so I'll look into finding one. I knew it would be under the seat but couldn't find where the wires plug into. You see, there was neither the turn signals nor the wiring for it. So I have the turn signals with the wiring and I see where it bolts up to the frame of the bike. I need to figure out where to run the wiring and where the ends of the wires go. I am assuming they go to the box under the seat but I didn't see any empty holes for them to plug into. I'll go home after work and take some pics. Gotta get this done so I can pass inspection!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Where are you from? Turn signals not needed in TX.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Forum for VN800

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97vn View Post
Hello all. I just got a 97 Vulcan 800cc (according to title). Not my first bike (CBR and GSXR) but my first cruiser. I'll add pics soon. Got a couple questions on how to wire the rear turn signals. The bike didn't come with them so I got a pair and see where they mount, I just don't see where they wire up to. Any help would be much appreciated. Especially with pics since I am a little ....

And I did do some searching but didn't come up with anything. That, of course, does not mean it isn't there.
Welcome to the vulcan forum 97vn. There is a lot of good info here for riders of any bike, not just the vn750. However if you are looking for vn800 specific info, you might want to consult with the guys over on the Kawasaki Forums here: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=56

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I'm from MD. They're pretty strict up here. I'll check that forum. Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome 97vn, you've come to a great place even if you don't have the right vulcan.

Go to a Radio Shack and buy a small VOM (volt, ohm, milliamp) meter for under $10 it will be one of the most useful tools in your toolbox when dealing with electrical diagnostics. Even if you only use the volt portion of it you'll know if you have power, how many volts and in your case you'll be able to pick up the wires that will have pulsating voltage with the directional flasher so you'll know where to hook up the rear directionals. Good luck.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement