headlight/brake light problems - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

headlight/brake light problems

yesterday I was trying to wire up a new brake light on my 05 vulcan. I bought a brake light from the auto store and hooked it up, but no matter how I connected the three wires all it would do was either stay bright, or dim (i.e. the running light, and the brake light) depending on how I wired it up. well in the process of trying to figure out the brake light I blew one of the fuses. I replaced the fuse and now the stock tail light comes on (running light) but the brake light only engages when I use the foot brake. The hand brake does not engage the brake light at all, and my headlight will not come on. I checked all of the fuses and they're all good. is there any reason why the handbrake would not engage the brake light while the foot brake does? and what does that have to do with my headlight? I'm really confused about this and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Someone with better electrical skills than I have will chime in soon, I'm sure, but as far as the hand brake - that is connected off the RH controls to the wiring harness - it crosses over from right to left, and connects to the harness via a RED connector. You will have to pull the tank to check that, but make sure that connection is tight. The headlight will not come on unless the bike is running - have you turned on the ignition when you're doing all this testing, or just tried it by turning the key to "on"?

C
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I haven't tested it with the bike cranked yet. I just turned the key to the on position. when I get home tonight I'll crank the bike up and see what happens.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:40 PM

The wire colors coming to the tail light are: Blue = brake light, red = running light and black/yellow = ground.

There are no other fuses in the brake light circuit than the 30A main fuse.

For all electrical work you need a multimeter, I suppose you have one. The front brake switch is easy to check with resistance measurement.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

alright, when I crank the bike up the headlight works like it's supposed to. I still haven't gotten the handbrake to work the brake light. also the back blinkers don't come on as running lights. the front do, though. is there any reason they would do that? when i turn on the turn signals they flash normally, but they don't stay on when the bike is running. this is all very confusing as I'm completely new to working on motorcycles, and electrical work is definitely not my forte. any help would be much appreciated.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:39 PM

Only the front lights serve as as running lights AND turn signals. The back lights just indicate turns, so you are OK there.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

well that's good to know. now all I have to do is figure out what's stopping the hand brake from engaging the brake light and I'm good to go.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Old Truck Junkie

When I went to look at my bike when buying it, the hand brake light did not work. They worked on the light switch and I haven't had any trouble with it since.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

where would I find that light switch, and is there any way to test it to see if it has gone bad?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 AM

Hey guys is it possible he burned a wire or the switch out before the fuse blew? Seen this before on guys trying to wire their trucks for trailers.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB
Spline Lube every tire change
VN750 #4393