bike bogogng on when cold - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

bike bogogng on when cold

i just recently replaced my stator and r/r. When i start my bike it runs fine until i put some load on it it seems to bog down and have fluctation on the tach dropping all over the place sometimes dropping 4000 rpm. Once the the bike warms up, the needle on the temp guage moves up to the the first line the bike runs fine with no problems. I have tested the battery with load test and it is fine, tested the coils both primary and secondary side with an ohm meter, readings are what the book says. i have changed plugs and wires checked the length of the spark and i have greater then 1/4 inch. Also have checked all my connection sever times and have found nothing wrong there. Ran seafoam threw a few tanks, I have no clue where to look next and help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
wheres your choke in this is there change with half choke or full choke does choke have any effect at all??? check the plungers and see if they are actuating with the pull of the choke... ??? how is the choke cable run any binds in the system? Ground connections?? another thing id check is carb vent and tank vent though i dont think they are an issue...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebeeare View Post
wheres your choke in this is there change with half choke or full choke does choke have any effect at all??? check the plungers and see if they are actuating with the pull of the choke... ??? how is the choke cable run any binds in the system? Ground connections?? another thing id check is carb vent and tank vent though i dont think they are an issue...
Fuel supply sounds right to me too.
Only puzzle is the tach. Why is it dropping? Is it because RPMs are dropping, or is it dropping while the engine is still revved? If the RPMs are dropping, then it makes sense. If so, I'd look at fuel supply--choke, etc.--just like seebeeare said.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

i have checked the choke circuit, the choke has no bearining on it tried half chike and full choke problem doesn't change. i have checked the fuel circuit and see no issues with it, why iam leaning toward an electrical problem. The rpm are dropping with engine reved.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Sounds like intermitent electical problem. Ignition switch, and or safety switches. Or could be a short some wheres.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

checked all connections today found a faulty water sensor, also found voltage on battery around 4oo0 rpm is 18.9 volts. would a faulty water sensor effect my bike that way?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbug View Post
checked all connections today found a faulty water sensor, also found voltage on battery around 4oo0 rpm is 18.9 volts. would a faulty water sensor effect my bike that way?
Way too high. I replaced and relocated the r/r due to my volts jumping up to 16 to 17 volt some times.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbug View Post
i cant imagine a water temp sensor effecting a voltage spike i would think if it grounded it would cause a voltage drain,,,, i agree with the the r/r and relocating it double test it and make sure but a faulty rr could end up costin ya another stator.... thats a lot of current runnin through the little wires...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

i know it is to high but i don't understand what relocating the r/r will make on the voltage. won't the voltage be constant no matter were it is relaocated
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I replaced the r/r and relocated it at the same time. The replacement of the r/r took care of the problem for me.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement