could it be the regulator? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

could it be the regulator?

Hey guys, i got a new battery from Big crank like last week. I got the new battery because one day when i was going to work, my battery died. Look inside and the water was dry. So after i get the new battery and a small charging session, I rode it around for a few 2 hour rides without a problem.
Today I go and it is fine until i shut it down. and suddenly it wont start. Could my r/r be fried? what also sucks is that my coolant drain plug got its head broke off too at the same time, and I've never touched it......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 05:10 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
there is a lot in that short thread ...
Small charging session..... It is vital to our sytems that u start off with a full charge it puts a lot of strain on the stator if u start with a weak batt... good choiceon the batt and alot of times agms are already charged when they get to you... when u said your bike wouldn't start i am assuming it was a slow crank then a click click click????

lets start with the basics... first charge the battery over night.. double check all ground connections batt to frame frame to engine... and with a fully charged batt take a volt reading off the batt should be around 12 mayber +/- a couple tenths more towards the + if the batt is new , start bike take volt reading is it a lil more this time up to about 12.5-13? now rev the bike to 4k rpm now whats the volt reading 13.5 -14.5??? it that checks out your charging if it doesnt look in the clymers for a rectifire testing .... and look in my signature below for stator testing...
there are a lot of things it could be from the sounds of your post a lot of people have hard warm starts and i believe they took care of it with uridium plugs...

Coolant drain plug the one on the radiator? the heads broken does it leak water?? i broke mine when i first got it and glued it back on with jb weld a year and a half later still no leaks... i just use the hose to drain the fluid if i need to...

the 2 hr ride leads me to believe that the bike is charging i can usually make it about 30 miles on a full charge without a good charging system...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

something isnt working proper, i charged it up to 12.6 and rode my bike home and come back with a 12.1 charge.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by achang1 View Post
something isnt working proper, i charged it up to 12.6 and rode my bike home and come back with a 12.1 charge.
How far was that ride, and at what speed? Until you do the voltmeter test seebeeare suggested, you aren't going to know what's going on.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

it was only a 30 min ride at an average of 35 mph? but i had set the idle to a higher speed and what not. when the bike is running, it does boost the voltage to 13.something.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 AM

The idle should be at 1,100 rpm. Don't try to charge the battery by upping the idle. Did you get a reading of 13.5-14.5v when you revved it to 4,000 rpm? If yes, you should be fine. A reading of 12.1v with the engine off is acceptable if everything else checks out.

If you haven't replaced the standard plugs with iridiums yet, that will improve starts, both hot and cold.

Old Blue

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
The idle should be at 1,100 rpm. Don't try to charge the battery by upping the idle. Did you get a reading of 13.5-14.5v when you revved it to 4,000 rpm? If yes, you should be fine. A reading of 12.1v with the engine off is acceptable if everything else checks out.

If you haven't replaced the standard plugs with iridiums yet, that will improve starts, both hot and cold.
Iridium spark plugs suggested are NGK DPR7EIX-9.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 PM

Thank you, OlHoss.

Old Blue

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

well i tested it again, i set the throttle to 4k rpms by using the choke and upping the idle a bit so i don't need 2 people to test. the voltage of the battery slowly climbs up from 12.x to past 13.8 and counting.
does that mean its working properly?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
Quote:
Originally Posted by achang1 View Post
well i tested it again, i set the throttle to 4k rpms by using the choke and upping the idle a bit so i don't need 2 people to test. the voltage of the battery slowly climbs up from 12.x to past 13.8 and counting.
does that mean its working properly?
i dont know what u mean by slowly climbing... however it sounds to me like its charging double check the grounds and go from there... double check stator connections and rr conections.,,, riding around town never over 35 depending on gear could mean your not getin the stator up to full charging rpms... like i said a lil earlier when the charging system fails it will go for about 40 - 50 min depending on the battery and then u will be at like 10 or less volts... u got a good start to the sytem id go with the plugs and keep an eye on everything ... when u are at the store getting plugs get a set of aligator clips and try driving around the parking lot with the volt meter attached...

If u feel its not charging look at my sig for stator test and service manual so u can test the rr...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement