Making Custom Plug Wires (all info in one place with pics!) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Acid7711
Making Custom Plug Wires (all info in one place with pics!)

Well, so many of you have helped me along my journey and I sincerly appreciate it. So, it's my turn to give back to the community that's done so much for me.

First off, my version of making spark plug wires. I decided to write this because I had to do some guessing on what I needed. Yes, the info is out there, but it's so scattered I was looking in 20 places and still unsure. So, here goes.

Parts List as follows for 4 new spark plugs on your bike:
----------------------------------------------------------------
4 - Dennis Kirk Part #: 2021 (Spark plug wire) @ $2.95 each
2 - Dennis Kirk Part #: 20306 (Plug end, angled) @ $3.55 each
2 - Dennis Kirk Part #: 20789 (Plug end, short) @ @ $2.60 each

Total Cost
------------
$21.40

I believe shipping to my house was only about $6 or so bucks. So, all in all around $25 for a custom set of 7mm plugs

Yup...that's it. 8 things, all at Dennis Kirk! The wire each is 72 inches long. Too long? Yes...But, I'd rather have had too much and had 4 tries to get the exact cut and have some left over at that price than screw something up. Your call.

Basically, it's straight forward. Each of these plug ends "Screws" literally into the wire. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

At this point, you should have 2 straight plug boot wires, and 2 angles plug boot wires, with enough wire to wrap around the bike 40 times

Next step is simple, pull your stock wires, put your new ones in, keeping the sealing end and the little "O" ring. The "O" ring off the stock wire goes on AFTER the end cap, put that on your wire first, then the "O" ring. Then cut to length, and screw back onto the coil. Bingo, you're done!

Last step: Look at your stock wires in disgust, throw them away angrily!

Last edited by Acid7711; 09-02-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Calif Rider

Nice write up and pics were really nice. The price for all that is really very resonable, surprised that it was not a lot more.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Good write-up and pics, Acid. You do have me confused on one point. In the caption under the 4th pic you refer to and 2 straight plug boots and 2 angled plug boots. All 4 boots appear to be 90* angles to me. Did you mean to say you would have 2 long and 2 short boots?
I think you went a little over board on buying extra plug wire though!! LOL. I have the 4 lengths needed written down here somewhere, and if I recall correctly, all 4 can be made from 60" of wire with a couple inches left over. So I think one extra 6' length would be plenty of back-up insurance for even a newbie doing this the first time.

I would start by removing the longest plug wire from the ignition coil, lay it out by the new wire to measure and cut.
Assemble and install that wire to check for fit.
Continue the same process for the other three wires, working longest to shortest, and cutting all 4 wires from the same 6 foot piece of stock.

If you do cut one wire too short, it need not be wasted, measure it again and use it for the next shorter wire needed.

And you still have your spare 6' length for the next time new wires are needed.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Garage
Did they boost your performance? I just ordered a set already made up and I should be getting them tomorrow or Friday. This is what I got except in Black.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Acid7711
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
You do have me confused on one point. In the caption under the 4th pic you refer to and 2 straight plug boots and 2 angled plug boots. All 4 boots appear to be 90* angles to me. Did you mean to say you would have 2 long and 2 short boots?
Well, basically yes. Short and long, however I guess the "angled" ones as I called them were the long ones. They have more of a slant vs a straight 90 degree cut to them that the short ones have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I think you went a little over board on buying extra plug wire though!! LOL.
Haha...yes. But, that part number at Dennis Kirk (I actually called and talked to the rep) stated that, that particuluar part number came PRE-cut at those lengths. So, that's what I ordered, and why I did it. It was cheap enough to do so, and good insurance I had no way of ordering less or more in any other length according to the rep I talked to, and I just wanted to order everything from the same place all at once so I'd have it all at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
Did they boost your performance?

As far as increasing performance, I threw iridium's and one of those maint-free batteries in first day I brought the bike home, and it ran much better with those right off the bat. However, I noticed that my front right wire would slightly shock me if I touched it while the bike was running. So, they needed to be changed out regardless. They were old, I was having problems getting the bike to run right (turned out to be a carb problem, how-to on that maybe later tonight hehe), so these wires were just one step in getting the bike to run smooth and good.

I know some people opt for 8mm wire, but I found and sued 7mm, and it works just fine. Truth be told, I've read that the 8mm is difficult to shove into the stock "O" sealer and into the coils, so 7mm is actually much easier. My stock "O" sealers were hardened on my wires pretty good, be careful when removing them, they DO come off

Last edited by Acid7711; 09-02-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement