Vulcan 750 only starts in neutral with the clutch out - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan 750 only starts in neutral with the clutch out

I have a 1990 Vulcan 750 that sometimes only starts in neutral with the clutch out. There doesnít seem to be any cable slippage and the gear box sounds and shifts normal when running. Fluid is ok. Iíve had the bike for awhile and it just started today. Sometimes before it starts it is a little hard to get into any gear, except for neutral. Neutral is easy. Saying it another way as long as the clutch is in it wonít start regardless of the gear. It will not turn over. I put the key in, turn it, the lights come on, the horn works, I put the engine on in the on position and push the start button and nothing happens. But that is only with the clutch in, in neutral or in gear. If I put it in neutral, let the clutch out, and push the start button it will turn over and start right up every time. And the not starting except in neutral doesn't happen all the time, about 50% of the time. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
First off you should always start the bike in neutral.

Second, not sure here as to what you are calling "clutch in" or "clutch out"

You should know however that there is a switch in the clutch lever mount and also one in the kickstand mount.

One of these switches may be sticking and causing your problem.....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I second what KM said. There's a switch right by the clutch lever that should have a plunger on it (thanks to my compadre to whom I just sent a broken one of these to!) - when the clutch lever is pulled in, the plunger should pop out, sending a signal to the bike that the cluitch is in. If there's no plunger on the switch (appears to break off more easily than one would hope), the bike won't know the difference. To find the switch, look up on the LH controls - there's a place where there's a three-pronged connector that goes in, just below the clutch lever. It's held onto the unit by two small phillips head screws. When you pull the lever in, there should be a black plunger that pops out- about 1/2 cm long. I'll see if I can find the pic that was sent to me and post it for you.

I've tried to load the pic several times, to no avail. Also tried to load it to my gallery, but apparently there's a problem with the pics today? I'll try again in a litlte while!!

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-29-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Pic downloading problem ??

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 PM
The Reanimater

Here You go Cindy.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
I second what KM said. There's a switch right by the clutch lever that should have a plunger on it (thanks to my compadre to whom I just sent a broken one of these to!) - when the clutch lever is pulled in, the plunger should pop out, sending a signal to the bike that the cluitch is in. If there's no plunger on the switch (appears to break off more easily than one would hope), the bike won't know the difference. To find the switch, look up on the LH controls - there's a place where there's a three-pronged connector that goes in, just below the clutch lever. It's held onto the unit by two small phillips head screws. When you pull the lever in, there should be a black plunger that pops out- about 1/2 cm long. I'll see if I can find the pic that was sent to me and post it for you.

I've tried to load the pic several times, to no avail. Also tried to load it to my gallery, but apparently there's a problem with the pics today? I'll try again in a litlte while!!

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Search Goddess

Did you by chance happen to run into a bit of rain with the bike just before this started?
I've had the clutch lever switch stick before, usually after some rain riding. Spray it with some electrical contact cleaner and it should be "right as rain" then.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 PM

Regarding the difficulty going into gear, Kawasaki uses a mechanism they call the Positive Neutral Finder, which will not permit the transmission to go into any gear except Neutral and First unless the bike is rolling. If you want to get into the higher gears with the engine off, you have to push the bike (Or roll it down a hill).

ETA: I suppose hypothetically it would also be possible to put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear wheel by hand.

Last edited by IMBoring25; 08-29-2009 at 11:58 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Thanks, JT. Not sure what's wrong with the pic that I'm trying to upload, but it's failed repeatedly. Must be something with the file.

C
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 PM
McGyver

Hers a pick with the plunger broken off.
Also if its just stuck you can pop it apart and clean and grease it.

Last edited by Hammer034; 09-14-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement