Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
1994 VN 750

Headlight out!

I did a search before asking, didn't find what I was looking for.

I noticed on my way home from work that my headlight was out. All of the other marker lights & tail/brake lights work fine. All the dash lights work. Except the Hi beam and headlight.
My question is if this is simply a bulb out, or is it a bigger problem? I'm concerned that the hi beam didn't come on or that the dash lights concerning the headlight didn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:09 PM
The Professor

It could be the bulb, H/L connector, RLU or the Hi/Lo switch. Start checking the simple stuff first.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
1994 VN 750

I checked all the simple stuff, nothing. I did the switch out on the 8-pin plug with the blue wire and the light came back on. Still hoping I don't have a bad stator, my new battery (MF) died on me today. I'm hoping it was all the local driving I did this week since after jumping the bike it was running fine with a bright headlight.
I Just hooked up a battery tender Jr. to it and am hoping for the best until I can get my hands on a meter to test the stator.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Take off your left side panel and open the fuse box. Make sure that the fuse (marked on the inside of the cover) as headlight is good. If it is, then it's most likely your bulb.
Good luck.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
Take off your left side panel and open the fuse box. Make sure that the fuse (marked on the inside of the cover) as headlight is good. If it is, then it's most likely your bulb.
Good luck.
While you got the cover off trace where the three (yellow) wires from the stator connect into the main wiring harness, at the 3 bullet (is that what you call 'em) connectors. The connectors will be there to the left looking at the junction box. I had the same headlight out symptoms and in trouble shooting found that all those wires were heavily corroded. 1 broke (which supplied power to my headlight it seems), and another was hanging by a thread. I cut out the bad section and replaced with a fresh sections of wire and new connectors. Not only does the headlight shine bright, my starter issue is gone...go figure. PS - I searched 'headlight out' and found a post suggesting checking that connection. Sometimes ya have to read thru the posts careful and complete to find these pearls of wisdom. Worth taking a look.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
1994 VN 750

like I said, I did the 7 pin switch mod that lit my headlight up. What I have now is a battery charging problem. The bike will run forever as long as it's running, as soon as I shut it off I notice the battery is significantly weaker that when I started out. I believe that my R/R is bad, it is just what makes sense to me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 AM

After your battery is charged to full, put it back in and verify your battery voltage with a meter. Should be around 12.5 volts. Start the bike and keep the meter on the battery while revving the bike. If the voltage doesn't rise to 13.5 or 14 volts at around 4000 rpms, then you'll need to check your stator for voltage also while the bike is running. Someone can pipe in here to give the correct procedure to measure stator voltage or you can search here to find the instructions. If the stator voltage is correct, then it's your R/R more than likely.
It is possible that your MF battery has gone bad too. Just some things to check and be thinking about... Good luck!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:17 AM

The short list for the stator test is resistance in the range of .3 to .5 across any 2 yellow leads, and infinity across yellow and case. AC voltage (not DC voltage) across any 2 yellow leads s/b 50 to 70 VAC @ 4000RPM. (my resistance readings are a little higher consistently)

Here is a link to the Stator and Diode testing guides:

http://www.electrosport.com/technica...sis-center.php

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement