R/R problem - fried plug - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

R/R problem - fried plug

Giving my new to me bike a once over, tuned and synched, can't get the headlamp working, pop the side cover to check connections and uh oh, I got some melty crispy stuff... I kinda hope the R/R is allright, I know the harness is fried, the wire is burned about 1/2" back, and the plug, my plug!! now I have my 700 for parts but need to get her home. Would the R/R relocate have prevented this? looks like an acid problem, haven't replaced the battery yet, but will soon. She has no goat with the V&H pipes so I shouldn't really need to move it right?... man, I'm bummed...

There she is, gotta get some decent tires on there, haha, just noticed the left mirror in this pic

Last edited by G3P0; 08-21-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
that r/r is toast... what caused it to fry like that? i would pull the seat and tank and trace your wiring harness, also I would check the relays inside the JB... it sounds like the Headlight Relay is gone, which probably fried about the same time the R/R went.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 PM

I have a similar problem although I think my R/R is ok - was a bitch getting the plug off - read further into the post for some cleaning options and a place to order a new harness.

Here is my pics: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12010

I haven't replaced the r/r or the harness yet as tires needed to come first.

Beautiful bike man - I want to get some whitewalls next time.
________
Dodge super 8 hemi

Last edited by MisterPister; 05-11-2011 at 06:30 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
MisterP, his looks far worse off than yours... get a manual... or search R/R troubleshooting, and test your R/R... i looks bad, but may be ok... also you can use just the 1/4" female spade connectors to fix it...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

If I have the right settings on my digital ohmmeter, set to 200, then in the pic the center bottom lead x'd out is dead, everything-else checks out on the R/R. I'm getting frustrated checking the stator, does the battery need to be in? I pulled the battery box and removed the R/R to get a better angle with the meter, figured I might as well relocate it anyway. Do I need to put it all back together to check the stator...
found this thread about testing the stator, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12182
going to go look see, I have the 3 yellow wires tagged, do they need to be?

Last edited by G3P0; 08-21-2009 at 10:02 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

well, with this setting it's reading 0.9 between the yellow wires and infinite to ground on all three, I'm going to put things back together and see what kind of volts she's got.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Stator seems to be operational, should I be concerned that it read 0.9 ohms between the yellow wires? manual states it should be between .3 and .5, she's pushin a ton of voltage.. as far as the wiring harness, everything else looks clean, I'm going to clean that r/r and hook it up and see what happens, shouldn't hurt anything in the short term, ya think?

Last edited by G3P0; 08-21-2009 at 11:02 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3P0 View Post
Stator seems to be operational, should I be concerned that it read 0.9 ohms between the yellow wires? manual states it should be between .3 and .5, she's pushin a ton of voltage.. as far as the wiring harness, everything else looks clean, I'm going to clean that r/r and hook it up and see what happens, shouldn't hurt anything in the short term, ya think?
howdy!
I am getting the same readings too on my sceewter so i ordered a R/R from RMStator and got a 5 pin R/R (the missing pin is the one you crossed out on the picture) so i send it back and still waiting for the 'right' R/R to be shipped back to me
can you tell me what voltage your were getting coming out of the yellow wires?
I can't wait to get back on the 'iron horse'

Let me know

PEACE!!!

2005 Vulcan 750
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
GP sounds like your stator is fine. Looks like most of the damage is caused by battery acid dripping on it along with the heat from the goats belly. I would look into getting another R/R asap... now just to let you know I am a tight wad, so when mine went o the toast side, I went against better my better judgment and got an R/R from ebay... it came off of a vn1500 ... payed like 50 bucks with shipping for it, and haven't looked back. ( I say better judgment because being a mechanic i never put used electrical parts on any kind of vehicle. But since I wasn't sure the R/R was my problem.. I didn't want to dish out 119 for a new one.) If i had to do it again i would still go with the ebay R/R
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Stator seems to be operational, should I be concerned that it read 0.9 ohms between the yellow wires?
I bet your ohmmeter reading with the probes shorted together is nonzero. Subtract that reading from the reading you got from the stator and you have the startor resistance. Anyway, as slim said, your stator is good.

The final cause of the destruction of your R/R connectors is heat. Just a few ohms of resistance over the contact(s) and the high current going through that connector generates a lot of heat. I am not arguing that the initial cause could be battery acid. As often adviced on the forum, a bit of dielectric grease in the contacts helps keep the contacts good. No need to overdo it by filling the whole connector with grease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement