Charging Issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Charging Issue

I need some serious input on this one... Was riding into work today and decided to take a different gate. Bad idea! Traffic going through this gate was horrendous. Took me about 30 minutes to go three miles all the while my bike was going barely more than an idle. My bike stalled out just as I was about to go through the gate. When I tried to start it back up my battery was dead. I used to only have this problem when it was really hot out before I relocated my regulator. The gate guard was kind enough to give me a bump (embarrassing) and I was good to go to. When I got to work (about two miles from the gate where I stalled out) I parked my bike and switched her off. I decided to see if it would start back up and I got nothing. Not even a click. I let her sit for eight hours until it was time to home. I prayed that she would start up without issue and she did (thank you, Jesus). I decided to leave out the way that I came and got stuck in the same lame traffic. Guess what happened? You got it, she stalled out in the middle of the street. I pushed her up hill into the K-Mart parking lot and figured that I would let gravity help me bump it. Nothing. Tried it again. She started. Went to get back into traffic and she stalled out again. I didn't get very far. Basically, I completed a 500ft lap where I ended up where I started back in the K-Mart parking lot. I decided to just park her and went next door What-A-Burger for something to drink and a cool place to sit down. I relaxed for about 30 minutes and went back to start my bike. Nothing. That was it. It was now about 1830hrs (6:30pm) and I needed to get home. I called roadside assistance for a jump (I need to buy some jumper cables for my bike). The dude came out, I pulled the seat and he jumped the bike. By the time I had gotten the back on, put my toolkit back into the tool compartment, got my gear back on, and signed the paperwork, the battery was dead. The dude jumped her again and she was dead in less than five minutes. The dude jumped her one last time and I was able to get on her and get her home (about 50 miles). After I got her into the garage, I shut her down and restarted her. It was a weak start but she started.

Sorry about the long story but I wanted to make sure than all of the facts were stated. Is it normal for a motorcycle to drain its battery when idling for a long time? I installed a LED voltmeter that was reading about 12 volts at 1100rpm and about 14-15 volts at 4000rpm. I wasn't monitoring the voltmeter this morning but this afternoon it was barely 8-9 volts at idle and, no matter how high she was reved, would not get above 12 volts.

This has been the first time that this has happened to me since I relocated my regulator about three weeks ago. When I relocated the regulator, I made sure to coat the connector with dilectric grease and retape the wires to keep the water out. Since I did the relocation, I've rode her in the rain twice, washed her, and installed new ACCT springs (not sure what that may have to with the charging sytem). When I examined the regulator, the connector was really greasy (to be expected) but no water.

I'm hoping that this issue may be operator/mechanic error that can be easily rectified and not some serious equipment failure that will just give my wife one more reason why I should sell my bike. Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
how old is your agm batt? i'd double check the grounds and make sure they are secure... then id take the batt to get tested next id test the stator Stator testing thread and also check the rectifier via clymers...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:58 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGHeath View Post
I need some serious input on this one... Was riding into work today and decided to take a different gate. Bad idea! Traffic going through this gate was horrendous. Took me about 30 minutes to go three miles all the while my bike was going barely more than an idle. My bike stalled out just as I was about to go through the gate. When I tried to start it back up my battery was dead. I used to only have this problem when it was really hot out before I relocated my regulator. The gate guard was kind enough to give me a bump (embarrassing) and I was good to go to. When I got to work (about two miles from the gate where I stalled out) I parked my bike and switched her off. I decided to see if it would start back up and I got nothing. Not even a click. I let her sit for eight hours until it was time to home. I prayed that she would start up without issue and she did (thank you, Jesus). I decided to leave out the way that I came and got stuck in the same lame traffic. Guess what happened? You got it, she stalled out in the middle of the street. I pushed her up hill into the K-Mart parking lot and figured that I would let gravity help me bump it. Nothing. Tried it again. She started. Went to get back into traffic and she stalled out again. I didn't get very far. Basically, I completed a 500ft lap where I ended up where I started back in the K-Mart parking lot. I decided to just park her and went next door What-A-Burger for something to drink and a cool place to sit down. I relaxed for about 30 minutes and went back to start my bike. Nothing. That was it. It was now about 1830hrs (6:30pm) and I needed to get home. I called roadside assistance for a jump (I need to buy some jumper cables for my bike). The dude came out, I pulled the seat and he jumped the bike. By the time I had gotten the back on, put my toolkit back into the tool compartment, got my gear back on, and signed the paperwork, the battery was dead. The dude jumped her again and she was dead in less than five minutes. The dude jumped her one last time and I was able to get on her and get her home (about 50 miles). After I got her into the garage, I shut her down and restarted her. It was a weak start but she started.

Sorry about the long story but I wanted to make sure than all of the facts were stated. Is it normal for a motorcycle to drain its battery when idling for a long time? I installed a LED voltmeter that was reading about 12 volts at 1100rpm and about 14-15 volts at 4000rpm. I wasn't monitoring the voltmeter this morning but this afternoon it was barely 8-9 volts at idle and, no matter how high she was reved, would not get above 12 volts.

This has been the first time that this has happened to me since I relocated my regulator about three weeks ago. When I relocated the regulator, I made sure to coat the connector with dilectric grease and retape the wires to keep the water out. Since I did the relocation, I've rode her in the rain twice, washed her, and installed new ACCT springs (not sure what that may have to with the charging sytem). When I examined the regulator, the connector was really greasy (to be expected) but no water.

I'm hoping that this issue may be operator/mechanic error that can be easily rectified and not some serious equipment failure that will just give my wife one more reason why I should sell my bike. Please advise.
The VN700 is the worst piece of crap Kawasaki made, I wouldn't own if some on gave me one!!!! SH!T I do own one and it was given to me, my bad!! LOL

I tried to read you post but it is one big f'n paragraph so I skipped to the bottom. Work on sentence and paragraph structure.

Basicaly our bikes do not charge much at idle-2000, heat will play a major roll. Charge the battery and test the DCV output @ 3000-4000 rpm, it should be between 13v and 14.5v.

Do not test until you have fully charged the battery, a low or weak battery can fry the stator and R/R. I f readings are below 12.7 you have a stator or R/R problem.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 08-18-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement