Members who have donated towards server costs
Join Date: Apr 2006
I've changed 2 stators on my bike now.
First one, I had one sent to me by Electrosport (forgot the name! Is that the company?). Turned out, it was for a Honda. Looked almost identical, but had a slight variation in spacing or center hole size. I can't recall now. Sent it back and got another one sent to me and it fit perfectly.
It burned out before too long, though.
So I ordered another Kaw original equipment stator. I opened up the bandages around the joints to see if they had done the joints right (staggered the joints and soldered them along with clamping). This one was done right. I've had it on for a couple of years now, some 20,000 miles (the others burned out at about 10,000).
Difference else that I did:
I put the RR unit (a new one just to be sure) up in front where it belongs, and I wired it with one gauge up size wiring (from stator to RR, and RR to box) so that the wires wouldn't get hot and increase the resistance (load) on the stator.
Seems to be working.
But you probably won't get that stator on your engine if it is not PRECISELY fitting. And if you do manage to get it on, you'll probably find something grinding pieces off since the clearances are really close.