VN750 Charging Idea - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

VN750 Charging Idea

Hey guys, I'm beginning to look for a backup VN750 and wondering if I crank one up and while it's running I remove the Positive side cable from the battery and it will still run with the headlight on...it at least is charging enough to keep the bike running without a battery. While not the best way to test, is this concept still correct on a bike? I used to do this on cars. And while I don't have voltmeters or would even know where to set the many settings if I did have one...I'd like to at least know one is charging somewhat from one that the stator/etc. is completely dead. It would reduce my chances of getting a bad one. Seems that removing a cable would tell something...or would doing this possibly damage something? Thanks.

'85 VN700
2005 VN750 for parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Love My Baby

As far as I know, the stator and the r/r charge the battery, they don't run the bike. If you disconnect the positive terminal on the battery, you will not have spark to the plugs and you will not be able to run the bike, nor will the headlight go on.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrick View Post
as far as i know, the stator and the r/r charge the battery, they don't run the bike. If you disconnect the positive terminal on the battery, you will not have spark to the plugs and you will not be able to run the bike, nor will the headlight go on.
..x2..

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrick View Post
As far as I know, the stator and the r/r charge the battery, they don't run the bike. If you disconnect the positive terminal on the battery, you will not have spark to the plugs and you will not be able to run the bike, nor will the headlight go on.
You mean, if you're driving down the road and your battery suddenly gets a dead cell or just goes 0% charge while running the bike a charging stator won't send fire (Enough?) to the plugs to keep it running like a car does? That don't sound right to me...but okay, you guys should know. I was afraid it might short something out. Thanks!

'85 VN700
2005 VN750 for parts
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
The stator output is too low at idle to run the bike. That's why parade riding or excessive idling is a no no with our bikes. If you connect a voltmeter across the battery at idle, you will see how low the voltage is until you rev up past 2000 rpm.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2 View Post
You mean, if you're driving down the road and your battery suddenly gets a dead cell or just goes 0% charge while running the bike a charging stator won't send fire (Enough?) to the plugs to keep it running like a car does? That don't sound right to me...but okay, you guys should know. I was afraid it might short something out. Thanks!
You can run the bike without a stator with a good battery, but not the other way around, unless you do not let rpm's get too low. When my stator was bad and the battery finally went, it shut off at a light and that was that.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM
The Professor

Quote:
A stator and alternator are two different animals, if we had alternators it would not be a problem.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Okay, that's what I wanted to know...that won't work. Alternators, generators, stators, magnetos...thinking about mounting a car battery on the rear, maybe get a bicycle generator to rub the wheel and charge the battery as it rolls, and try to ride my like stator dead VN700 656mi. back home from where it conked out in Shreveport. Maybe unhooking the headlight and a fully charged car battery strapped on back is all I really need for a 12 hour ride. But yeah, I was expecting the stator to keep the bike runnable with a defective battery...guess I'll learn a new way.

'85 VN700
2005 VN750 for parts
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:15 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Okay, that's what I wanted to know...that won't work. Alternators, generators, stators, magnetos...thinking about mounting a car battery on the rear, maybe get a bicycle generator to rub the wheel and charge the battery as it rolls, and try to ride my like stator dead VN700 656mi. back home from where it conked out in Shreveport. Maybe unhooking the headlight and a fully charged car battery strapped on back is all I really need for a 12 hour ride. But yeah, I was expecting the stator to keep the bike runnable with a defective battery...guess I'll learn a new way.
Have you tested the stator output? It could be you R/R. Is The battery your problem?

You can get a cheap battery for $35.00 @ Autozone But you will have to charge it for 12 hours @1.5-2.0 amps.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

No, I don't know how to use a voltmeter thing...to many settings on the knob...I'd need someone to show me. I just have never used or even seen one used. I'd have to have a shop or someone test it. When the bike conked out in Shreveport it was next to a battery place. Positive posts were on the wrong side, wouldn't fit, and even if they had one they were not ready charge...and they were closing in 30 min. I had to call my sister and they came and carried me and bike to their house about 160mi. south of Shreveport. Next day, I charged battery and bike ran like new. Thought about car battery thing but was afraid to risk it...being stranded sucks.

In the hours I was stranded, I checked fuses and looked for any broken, burnt, or loose wires...couldn't find anything amiss. Stator and R/R mod was done about 2 yrs. ago when previous owner replaced both (MSTBONES or something like that-forum member in Kansas), so I wasn't expecting any problem in that area.

Few weeks ago I tried to make the trip, but right before Little Rock bike started overheating...never all the way into the red...but once it got close with a needle size white space showing before it got into the red. I had to circle back home, stopping often...doing the best I could to get back home. Ran cool near the thunderstorms, only ride I was ever wishing for more rain. After I got home I replaced the thermostat which seemed to be the main problem. Then I drained coolant from all the drain plugs, new 50/50 mix and added some Wetter Water...and temp needle only got slightly passed the icon a few times and always worked itself back to or just to left of icon as I kept riding on the last trip...I think the overheating problem is fixed as best as can be. But I'm thinking that could have played a part in the charging problem.

I'm thinking I could remove the R/R and take it to a shop for reasonable $$$Fee to have tested (If I had bike here)...and if he let me watch...and the stator...oh the stator...does that dog bite

'85 VN700
2005 VN750 for parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement