Bad stator wires? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
 
Bad stator wires?

I have a Vulcan 750. The stator went out on it. Without going through a long story, I removed the engine and replaced it. I also replaced the voltage regulator. I fired the bike up and went on a short 15 mile trip. When I got back, I noticed trace amounts of smoke coming from the stator wires and a little bit of burned insulation. My first thought was that it was up against something hot. After further evaluation, I realized that the heat was coming from the wires. All parts that I used were brand new. Ive retraced my steps a 100 times and I cant find anything wrong, Does anyone know whats going on? PLEASE HELP!!!
kkmcleod750 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmcleod750 View Post
I have a Vulcan 750. The stator went out on it. Without going through a long story, I removed the engine and replaced it. I also replaced the voltage regulator. I fired the bike up and went on a short 15 mile trip. When I got back, I noticed trace amounts of smoke coming from the stator wires and a little bit of burned insulation. My first thought was that it was up against something hot. After further evaluation, I realized that the heat was coming from the wires. All parts that I used were brand new. Ive retraced my steps a 100 times and I cant find anything wrong, Does anyone know whats going on? PLEASE HELP!!!
What kind of battery do you have and how old is it?


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
lance328 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
 
The battery is a super start. I bought it brand new a month ago. I killed it a couple of times before realizing the stator was bad. Its currently not charged. My plan was to jump the bike off, ride it for a while and let the stator charge it.
kkmcleod750 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 PM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmcleod750 View Post
The battery is a super start. I bought it brand new a month ago. I killed it a couple of times before realizing the stator was bad. Its currently not charged. My plan was to jump the bike off, ride it for a while and let the stator charge it.
You must charge the battery before you start the bike, a low or bad battery can fry the stator. Is it a flooded lead acid or an agm mf battery?


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 07-26-2009 at 09:47 PM.
lance328 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 PM
and the Adventure Cycle
 
hyperbuzzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,138
iTrader: (1)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance328 View Post
You must charge the battery before you start the bike, a low or bad battery can fry the stator.
And for the best charge, use low amps....around 1.5 or 2.
Lower amperage for a longer time gives a much better charge than higher amps for a short time.


AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC


"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
hyperbuzzin is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
 
Its lead. It looks like acid has been dripping on the regulator, I fixed that. Doesnt look like any major damage was done. But the battery was completley dead when I installed it. I jumped it off with a car. I got it slow-charging right now, I hope it didnt cause any damage to the stator. I figured the concept was the same as a car, the alternator will charge the battery, I guess I was wrong.
kkmcleod750 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:02 PM
The Professor
 
lance328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BUFORD, GEORGIA
Posts: 3,147
iTrader: (15)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmcleod750 View Post
Its lead. It looks like acid has been dripping on the regulator, I fixed that. Doesnt look like any major damage was done. But the battery was completley dead when I installed it. I jumped it off with a car. I got it slow-charging right now, I hope it didnt cause any damage to the stator. I figured the concept was the same as a car, the alternator will charge the battery, I guess I was wrong.
With an alternator it is not a problem, with a stator it is.

Get a good MF AGM BATTERY and save yourself problems in the future.

Battery

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...ehicleQ5fParts

Once you get the bike running, test the battery voltage @ 4000 rpm to make sure you are charging.


85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 07-26-2009 at 10:06 PM.
lance328 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 PM
The Reanimater
 
jthill524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: A Little Town Along I-5 in Northern California
Posts: 847
iTrader: (2)
 
[QUOTE=lance328;108506]
Get a good MF AGM BATTERY and save yourself problems in the future.
QUOTE]

Yes Do........It's been between 103 - 112 deg here for the last 2 weeks.

I went out the other day to take the bike on a short trip after it's been sitting for a week and a half.
It started as soon as I hit the Button.

JaY



"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
jthill524 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome