Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Straight roads are evil

Normal voltmeter readings?

Recently added a voltmeter, wired to the headlight. I know it should be direct to the battery, but I don't have a switch, and don't want it active when the bike is off.

Anyway...

After being on the tender all night, it reads about 12.3 (analog, so not exact). Riding around, it's usually 12.1. Idle, it drops to 10, sometimes 9. After idling a few minutes, it slowly rises back to 12.1, over several minutes.

When riding the ultratwist (meaning, on and off the throttle continuously), it's sometimes 12.1, sometimes between 10 and 12. Makes me nervous.

MF battery, new stator. Are those normal readings, from the headlight? Or should I be worried?

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Love My Baby

If your reading were right off the battery, that would be very worrisome. I know the readings are lower when the voltmeter is wired off the headlight, but how much lower I'm not sure so I can't guide you. Reading of 9 volts sound too low but...

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Old Fart

Garage
That sounds way low, even for the way you have it wired. If I were you I would re-wire it correctly, direct to the battery. Or at least to the accessory leads in the headlight shell.. You can buy a toggle switch for 3 bucks, or better yet use a relay off the head light but wire the meter direct.

You should be getting 12.8 volts at rest and 13-14 volts when the bike is running.

It is possible the gauge is just way off, but if you wire it to the battery and check the reading against another voltmeter you will at least know how far off it might be. Some have a set screw to calibrate them if they are off.

As you have it now it is about as useless as not having one, so , well, you get the idea.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Ride Long and Prosper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQPlayer View Post
Recently added a voltmeter, wired to the headlight. I know it should be direct to the battery, but I don't have a switch, and don't want it active when the bike is off.

Anyway...

After being on the tender all night, it reads about 12.3 (analog, so not exact). Riding around, it's usually 12.1. Idle, it drops to 10, sometimes 9. After idling a few minutes, it slowly rises back to 12.1, over several minutes.

When riding the ultratwist (meaning, on and off the throttle continuously), it's sometimes 12.1, sometimes between 10 and 12. Makes me nervous.

MF battery, new stator. Are those normal readings, from the headlight? Or should I be worried?
Hey EQ --

Those readings are too low. Mine is digital connected to the speedometer light wire (blue/red) within the headlight bucket. It reads about 12.5 at idle and 14.5 volts above 3500 rpm. The manufacturer of the voltmeter told me it is not necessary to connect directly to the battery. You may have a faulty or inaccurate meter, or some other electrical problem.
Here is a link with a photo on my installation:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10481

Here is link for more pics on photobucket:
http://s652.photobucket.com/albums/u...max/Voltmeter/

Hope this helps!

-

OldFlaRider
USAF (Retired)

"Mr. Spock" 2006 VN750 370 miles (7/21/09)

Kawi Bag Supports
Relocated Signals/Locks
Saddle Bags
Relocated RR w/Lance Bracket
Corbin Seat & ProTac Backrest
Memphis Shades Shield
Voltmeter
Stebel Air Horn
K&N Air Filters
Iridium Plugs
Deka MF Battery
V&H Cruzers
Marbled
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
I installed an old style electomechanical voltmeter, because I like the look. I noticed that these older style ones need a much cleaner circuit to get an accurate reading. In fact, I orginally wired the gauge light to the same circuit and noticed a big drop (basically rendering the gauge useless). So, the voltmeter is wired to the heated grip circuit, which is direct wired (with relay) to the battery. The gauge light is wired to the license plate light. Now I get an accurate reading, but only when the heated grips are off. The gauge fluctuates about 1.0 -1.5 volts when the grips are on (thanks to the grip heattroller).

I would try wiring the gauge directly to the battery (without the gauge backlight) to test the gauge's accuracy, then figure out how best to permanently wire it up.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I got a new r/r and my readings are totally dif than they used to be. My charging no. are way lower. I haven't had any problems. I show charge when using more amps, meaning the more lights I use the more charge I show.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement