Headlight out indicator light on constant - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Kanevil

Headlight out indicator light on constant

This may be a silly question and hope someone can help. 2 days ago the headlight out indicator light came on so I checked the headlight and the low beam seemed dim so I figured the bulb was going out. Yesterday I stopped and bought a new bulb and replaced it and the headlight out indicator light is still on. The bulb appears to be bright on both high and low beam. I checked the wires in the bucket and fuses and nothing seems out of sorts, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Hoping that it may just be the sensor.

I always ride with the high beams on since I do very little if any night riding and do alot or highway riding and want to be seen.

Kanevil

Wear your brain bucket, I hate picking up brains!

New toy: 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (brand new 0 miles 7/30/09) Big Blue

1996 Vn750 Blue/Silver 4200 miles 5/14/08, sold 7/28/09 8900 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Love My Baby

Hi Kanevil. I never like to assume anything, so here goes. The headlight indicator is normally supposed to be on, but dim. When the headlight low beam goes out, the indicator lights brightly. You are probably fully aware of this though.

Also, it's not a good idea to use the high beam routinely even during the daytime. The light still shines high and could blind people who are already blind to us bikers to begin with. If you aim your high beams lower it will help, but that somewhat defeats the purpose ot the high beam and renders your low beams less effective.

As for what could cause the indicator light to shine brightly when the headlight is working properly, is it possible your replacement bulb is not the exact replacement and this is causing the indicator light to go on?

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 07:20 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyrick View Post
Also, it's not a good idea to use the high beam routinely even during the daytime. The light still shines high and could blind people who are already blind to us bikers to begin with.

X2

This is a quote from THIS article....

Quote:
What actually happens, often enough, is that when a motorcyclist leaves their high beam on as they approach another car, they become a white fog of light. Unfortunately, this is often interpreted by the driver’s brain as meaning nothing is there. If the brain can’t see it, and the driver is already not paying attention, he or she is almost certain not to see the motorcycle. Even if the driver is alert enough to be aware of the presence of another vehicle, the masking effect of the light may make it impossible to judge things like speed, lane position, or even the motorcycle’s use of a turn signal. This can lead to drivers turning left in front of a motorcycle they did not see or could not judge speed and distance on, among other things.
My first guess about the headlight issue would be a malfunctioning RLU (reserve lighting unit)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You know, I would agree with both of you on the highbeam thing, if it were not for the fact that the STOCK Vulcan highbeam is pitifully weak. I think the bike uses a 55/65w bulb, that I can tell you is not at all bright in the daytime.

I had thought of the problem described in the article , so I turned my high beam on and then walked out in front of my bike durring the day. At anything over 15 feet the brightness percieved is anything but blinding.

If you have upgraded your light to the 85 or 100 watt bulb, then I would think that the regular lowbeam would be the safest bet. When in tight traffic in the city I would also suggest using the low beam durring the day , even with the stock bulb, as your proximity to traffic is generaly shorter. But out on the open road or highway , I kinda doubt the stock highbeam is going to "blur you out" to an oncoming car.

There are cruisers on the market that do use the same bulb the Vulcan does , but also seem to have a much better designed reflector, that does appear to toss out more light...so I would guess these are the ones mentioned in the article.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Kanevil

The article does make sense and I do have the headlight tilted down a hair as to not blind anyone I am behind or coming up to but enough that I will be noticed.

I have a Sylvania Halogen bulb 9003 H4 55W/60W installed which is what was in there from previous owner, the only thing I did was this bulb has that bright blue white light when on high. The indicator light is on bright white so I guessed it may have been a malfunctioning reserve lighting unit after looking in the service manual, The only thing I don't like is the high beam indicator does not work now. How do I do about changing the RLU?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Kanevil

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Kanevil

Fixed the problem, I found it in a seperate post. I took the dimmer switch apart cleaned all the contacts and adjusted the little springs and everything works great now, glad I didn't spend the cash on a new RLU.

Kanevil

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Vintage bike addict

Glad it's working. Thanks for posting the solution.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Love My Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montipelier Misfits View Post
Fixed the problem, I found it in a seperate post. I took the dimmer switch apart cleaned all the contacts and adjusted the little springs and everything works great now, glad I didn't spend the cash on a new RLU.
By "dimmer switch" do you mean the High/Low beam selector switch? If that's the case, I'm wondering how a malfunction in that switch could cause the indicator light to go on, but let the headlight function normally. Perhaps the switch was sending less current through to the headlamp which was picked up by the indicator as a faulty headlamp, but the current that got through was enough to let the new bulb burn normally.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Kanevil

I guess I should have added that before, the headlight does seem brighter now on low and high beam. On one of the contatcts it almost seemed like the contact plate was fully coming up so I widened the grooves a bit and stretcehd the spring, just a bit and cleaned everything and it worked right away. Here is the trhead I found the info in from CNI Dawg. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540[/URL]

Kanevil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement