Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
1992 Vulcan 750

Send a message via AIM to AGStrange
Drained battery

My 1992 VN750 died during Rolling Thunder on May 24. The battery, which was at least two years old, wouldn't hold a charge any more. I bought a new battery the next day and everything has been fine. Went for a ride today and noticed that she was idling at fairly low RPMs. She stalled several times at stop lights and stop signs. Finally, she stalled out and wouldn't restart. I needed a jump to get her to a friend's house where the battery is currently recharging. So, the battery is not being recharged by the motorcycle. Is this enough information to determine if I need a new stator? Or could it be something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:05 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Check your R&R first, make sure your connections are clean and tight, what kind of battery did you buy? If it's not an AGM maintenance free battery you might want to return it. The new AGM technology is great and eliminated by starting issues. There are a number threads on here that discuss this issue, see the versus as well.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
1992 Vulcan 750

Thanks, I will check the connections. Looked at it earlier and it looked "as usual" to me. As for the battery, the brand is Xtreme and it is a maintenance-free battery. It replaced another maintenance-free battery of a different brand.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Not all maintenance-free batteries are AGM-technology, some are the old wet type. When I bought mine I went with a Sears Diehard.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
1992 Vulcan 750

All I can tell you is that mine came from Batteries Plus. They've got a local store in Rockville, MD. The Sears stores in my area tend to be less than helpful -- both with employees and stocked goods.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 AM

The Xtreme is AGM; the one I had in my 750 lasted 3 and a half years, 'til the stator killed it. The current one is still going strong. The one in the Wing was supposed to go in my 1500A, but since it's still in the engine and frame stage... That one's been goin' strong for a year and a half, now.

Got mine at Advance

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
1992 Vulcan 750

Update

Here's an update to my ongoing electrical problem. Many thanks to Cindy for talking me through this!

I unplugged the clip from the regulator. The choice of settings on my borrowed ohmmeter are as follows: 20M, 200K, 20K, 2K, 200. I set the dial to 2K. On two of the three circuits my reading was 1.293 and 1.294. The third one -- for the white wire -- was -1.

Do these numbers mean anything to anyone, and can they help determine whether or not the problem is with the alternator, the regulator, or both? Or neither?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

bump

C
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGStrange View Post
Here's an update to my ongoing electrical problem. Many thanks to Cindy for talking me through this!

I unplugged the clip from the regulator. The choice of settings on my borrowed ohmmeter are as follows: 20M, 200K, 20K, 2K, 200. I set the dial to 2K. On two of the three circuits my reading was 1.293 and 1.294. The third one -- for the white wire -- was -1.

Do these numbers mean anything to anyone, and can they help determine whether or not the problem is with the alternator, the regulator, or both? Or neither?
Here is a link to the Kawi manual. http://www.shopmanualdownloads.com/r...onSwank136.pdf

Go to page 266 for a diagram and specification chart for the r/r. I can`t offer any personal experience to help, but my Clymer manual says to set the ohm meter at R X 100. (Yours with a 200 scale should be fine)

Briefly, to test your stator output, at the disconnected 3 yellow wires coming from the stator and test them for AC VOLTAGE, with the engine running at 4,000 rpm. Test between any two yellow wires at a time, using all possible combinations. You should get between 50-70 volts AC.

With the engine off, set the ohm meter to the lowest setting and test for continuity between each yellow wire and a good ground. ANY continuity/resistance reading, from yellow wire to ground indicates a faulty stator, which needs to be replaced.

Here is a recent thread with more info on how to test the stator. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11083
I hope this helps.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement