Bike runs like crap at low RPMs??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Mark

Unhappy Bike runs like crap at low RPMs???

My problem started a couple of weeks ago, at first it was running bad all the time and the front plugs were real wet. Well I got that figured out, I had a bad petcock, rebuilt it and it ran good for about 60 miles or so. Now it runs bad at low RPMs and the front plugs are black, carboned up. Plugs are new and gapped correctly. So I tested the coil for ohms like my book says and it is 0.1 ohms over on the primary and right at 22.2 kohms on the secondary. The plug wires check out ok. Tonight when I get home from work (taking my meter home with me) I am going to check the pickup coils as the book says. Does anyone know of anything else I should be looking at or what might cause this? Thanks for any and all advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Mark

Are my wires bad?

Correction, I did not check the secondary as the book says, the book says to check the secondary with the wires hooked up. When I did i got a reading of 31.99kohms, without the wires it is 22.78kohms and the book says it should be 19-29kohms. So am I right to think that one or both plug wires are bad? I'm going out to check the readings on the pickup coils.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

My gut feeling here since you said it runs bad at low rpms, is not necessarily the coils or wires, sounds more like you might have a stuck float on the front carb allowing flooding until you get the rpms up to use the excess fuel. You might try a dose of seafoam, and do some tapping on the bowl with a screwdriver handle to see if the float will loosen up. Just a suggestion. I'm assuming it runs good at higher rpms...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 10:27 PM

thats the same problem im having right now i did the ear shave rejetted exc. and all of a sudden she dont wanna run inbetween 3000 4000 rpms anything higher she screams. wtf is going on im lost
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by great 1 View Post
thats the same problem im having right now i did the ear shave rejetted exc. and all of a sudden she dont wanna run inbetween 3000 4000 rpms anything higher she screams. wtf is going on im lost
how much of a jetting change did you make and did you shim the needles and readjust your fuel mixture screws after the earshave?

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 06-29-2009 at 02:04 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 PM

how much of a jetting change did you make and did you shim the needles and readjust your fuel mixture screws after the earshave?

i did 40s and 145 and yes 2 shims under the needle and 2.5 to 3 on the screws. its really weird cuz it ran good for a while then all of a sudden it stumbles 3-4 grand, mr ron in georgia is helping with my problem so far its looking to be the pick up coil. cuz the last time it happened my tach went major stupid when it missed.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by great 1 View Post

i did 40s and 145 and yes 2 shims under the needle and 2.5 to 3 on the screws. its really weird cuz it ran good for a while then all of a sudden it stumbles 3-4 grand, mr ron in georgia is helping with my problem so far its looking to be the pick up coil. cuz the last time it happened my tach went major stupid when it missed.
you got the right man on it.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement