Vulcan 750 1993 problems - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Vulcan 750 1993 problems

I have looked over the forums to try and pin point my specific problems and have found clues here and there, and i know this has been covered before in other parts, but i am currently finding it hard to procure the time to troll around for the answers i need.

So that being said my bikes has a hot start problem i have read about some sort of pickup coil modification but have yet to find any details about it, i have also read about replacing the battery with a maintenance free battery and using iridium(sp) spark plugs. Besides that however my main concern atm is my headlight, it will only turn on spuratically when ever it wants but it will stay on once turned on, unless on the rare chance i stall, i will have to restart my bike over and over again until the headlight turns on.

If any one can help i would be happy to listen, this is my first bike given to me from my recently passed uncle and i just want to carry on his spirit on his most cherished possession.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelsin View Post
I have looked over the forums to try and pin point my specific problems and have found clues here and there, and i know this has been covered before in other parts, but i am currently finding it hard to procure the time to troll around for the answers i need.

So that being said my bikes has a hot start problem i have read about some sort of pickup coil modification but have yet to find any details about it, i have also read about replacing the battery with a maintenance free battery and using iridium(sp) spark plugs. Besides that however my main concern atm is my headlight, it will only turn on spuratically when ever it wants but it will stay on once turned on, unless on the rare chance i stall, i will have to restart my bike over and over again until the headlight turns on.

If any one can help i would be happy to listen, this is my first bike given to me from my recently passed uncle and i just want to carry on his spirit on his most cherished possession.

Thanks.
I can shed a little lght on your headlight problem,no pun intended, the headlight ' as you are aware of does not come on automatically when you turn the key on The engine has to me cranked and the alternator stator has to be excited by the rotation of the permanent magnets in the rotor and induce a voltage from one leg sends power to a head light realy located in side the junction box under the left side cover on the bike,pull the cover off and check the condition of your junction box male and female plugs if corroded clean them and apply dielectric grease and plug it back up and try to start your bike and see if the headlight comes on.If not you have a wiring or relay problem .Install the new battery first and clean your battery to frame connections and frame to engine connections,loose or corroded ground connections will drive you mad as will a weak battery and the weak battery will tax your charging system unduly ,Put a Known good battery or charge yours overnight on a low amperage setting and check your battery voltage it needs to be at least 12.5 after charging ,if not buy one as good as you can afford Maintenance free preferably,do these things and get back to me if your problems aren't solved and we'll start checking on the other stuff ,it is usually the simple things and if you do them first it will save you money and besides that they need done any way as maintenance

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

i know that the light doesn't turn on until the bike is running and i have replaced and checked the reserve lighting kit and the problem still persists, i believe that it isnt grounded somewhere or the battery isnt strong enough, i got the battery tested not to long ago and the people at auto zone said it was fine, but when i start the bike and measure the voltage it reads at about 10-11 when it starts and takes a couple min. to get up to 14 ish.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
i know that the light doesn't turn on until the bike is running and i have replaced and checked the reserve lighting kit and the problem still persists, i believe that it isnt grounded somewhere or the battery isnt strong enough, i got the battery tested not to long ago and the people at auto zone said it was fine, but when i start the bike and measure the voltage it reads at about 10-11 when it starts and takes a couple min. to get up to 14 ish.
Okay ,I gather you have the engine up to around 3000RPM when you are checking charging voltage,I don't know where you are from but you mentioned reserve lighting and if your bike has two separate head light bulbs it is a European model,Have you checked the ground on the back of the engine block to the frame near the underneath side of the battery box. and that is a weak battery if it stays down around ten volts after you release the starter button the battery should come back up on its own to at least 12 or above when you remove the load of the starter.

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Im from ohio and i have only one bulb for a headlight but it has 2 filaments i cant recall if i had the bike up at 3000 rpm's but my bike normally idols at 1000, so im pretty sure i check it at that lvl. i also found out today that my bike is a 2001 not 93, don't know if that changes things to much, and pertaining to the connections ive check about all of those twice, to my knowledge. I have purchased the maintenance book from clymer and that's what i have been using as reference.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Im from ohio and i have only one bulb for a headlight but it has 2 filaments i cant recall if i had the bike up at 3000 rpm's but my bike normally idols at 1000, so im pretty sure i check it at that lvl. i also found out today that my bike is a 2001 not 93, don't know if that changes things to much, and pertaining to the connections ive check about all of those twice, to my knowledge. I have purchased the maintenance book from clymer and that's what i have been using as reference.
Ok, you maybe looking at the wrong schematic I have a factory manual and it has a supplement for the 2001and up models including the schematic,I'll have to study it and see if there is any difference,I don't see any thing major at a glance .And the reserve lighting relay ,if it functions like the voyager I used to ride is for if one side of the bulb blows and you don't know it and you flip the dimmer switch the light doesn't go out, it it drops the voltage on the existing element that isn't blown and one side of the head light will be very dim but it won't leave you completely in the dark and lets you know to buy a bulb because one side is blown.I,ll get Back to you and let you know what I find but I think the root of your problem is battery and ground related,I'm down in eastern Ky by the way.

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the help, i don't know if it matter though but my right front turn signal is brighter then all the rest.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:51 PM
The Professor

Quote:
The HL relay in junction box is probably causing the problem, you can bypass it to see if the junction box needs to be replaced.

At the junction box remove the 8-pin connector, remove the blue wire in position 8 and move it to the open slot beside it position 7. Your HL should come on as soon as you turn on the key.

Before you do the bypass start the bike and flick the start button a few times. Sometimes corrosion on the contacts will cause the problem.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I can only locate a 7 and a 9 wire connector plug

Last edited by xelsin; 06-19-2009 at 03:22 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 03:32 PM

Garage
there is no noticeable difference in the headlight circuit and if you have one light that is brighter than the other there is almost always a corroded ground connection,by pas the relay likeLance said but also check all your frame grounds on the small wires as they are the control circuit grounds there is one that plugs in beside the battery and it is very easy to have it corrode up just because of it's location .It is a small wire that is connected to the battery ground wire and has a bullet connector on it,make sure it and the bullet connectors inside your headlight bucket are clean and use dielectric grease on any connection you clean ,You can pick up a couple of blister packs at Advance or Autozone they are usually on the checkout counter and if you don't see it ,ask for it ,a very cheap insurance policy on your hard work.

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement